Chapter 8

I walked into school Monday, as people were just starting to read the school paper. The Headline I had come up with, Sunday before sending it in, was okay. Pencil Black-market? Just ask Jason. People were shocked, well at least those who didn't know Jason Dullen very well. I listened as Jason was called to the office over the P.A. My article, Enervate's rampage, and BlueKane's Arson dominated the school's gossip rings. I walked to the Black & White to hang out while it was breakfast time.

"Cara! Woman of the hour!" Wendy said giggling as I walked in, "Hero to the women of Fortdale High!". I laughed and set my book bag on one of the tables.

"I wouldn't go that far, I was just revealing the truth" I said, "Though... I might have enjoyed hearing Jason get called to the office." I walked over to the coffee maker and poured myself a cup.

"I hope he gets expelled" Wendy said, while she sat down at one of the computers. I took a seat, and sipped my coffee. I was happy to sit, because my legs still ached from that fall Saturday.

"Now that's something that would make me smile" I told her. Though he was the coach's son, so strings were probably going to be pulled. I wondered about what I should write for next week's publication. I stood up and walked over to the board of possible stories and leads. There wasn't much going on it seemed, or at least nothing interesting. Unless you find cafeteria mystery meat fun to write about. I grabbed my backpack off the table, and then turned to Wendy, "Alright I'm heading to class" I said.

"Ok, see you at lunch" Wendy said back.

I left the Black & White, and headed to my first period. I walked into Mr. Ghery's class and set my bookbag underneath my desk, after grabbing my history notebook. Mr. Ghery walked in to class holding his binder of lesson plans.

"I know some of you may be a little freaked out, after what happened this weekend. What with the fire and then, a new powered man calling himself Enervate killing a Police Officer." He said to the class. Everyone murmured, and reluctantly nodded their heads. Mr. Ghery turned on his smart board and sat down at his computer.

"But I don't want you to live in fear, because we have heroes protecting Fortdale now" He said as a video began to play on the smart board. Music started to play as a video of the BlueKane tying up some Yellowjackets appeared. Then the music's tempo picked up and clips of Kid Focus fighting played. Clips of all three of us fighting and protecting civilians flashed on screen, and finally a video of me landing and forming a crater ended the video. I could feel my classmates' fear lessen, and feelings of safety build. I didn't realize how we made people feel. But I could also feel grief from a classmate, I looked over and saw that it was my classmate Beatrix. My thoughts were interrupted by Mr. Ghery.

"The BlueKane, Kid Focus, and Eden stand between us, and evil" he told the class, but then added "Ok, now it's time for notes". Everyone groaned after hearing that last part, except me. I picked up my pencil with a smile.

After my morning classes, I headed to the lunchroom. I walked past tables of hungry freshman and got in line. The cafeteria bubbled with gossip and it showed so signs of dissipating. I overheard a table's discussion as I waited.

"Which hero do you think is the strongest?" A boy asked his friends.

"Oh definitely Eden. Did you seen how high she can jump? It's crazy!" Someone replied.

Their conversation made me wonder about how strong I actually am. Obviously not strong enough to beat Enervate yet. Someone tapped my shoulder which made me snap out of my thoughts. I walked forward because the line moved up.

"Yo Cara right?" I heard a voice behind me say. I turned around, "Remember me? Logan, from the laundromat?" Logan said. I was not expecting to bump into him today.

"Oh yeaaah, you knocked me over" I said smiling.

"Hey, I payed for your washer after" He said also smiling. Honestly not sure he would've done that weren't for my power.

"Yeah, thank you again" I said.

"So I was wondering if I could get your number?" Logan asked me. My eyes widened for a moment and then a I blushed.

"Um, yeah" I replied. I asked for his phone and then I put in my phone number. I almost couldn't believe he asked for my number. With my powers and living on my own, I never had time for boys. Actually, I don't technically have time now... maybe he'll forget about me?

I was wrong. As soon as school was over, I got texts from Logan. He asked if I had got home alright, which was sweet, but I could handle most situations. Though I guess he is right to be worried, I'm not home. Currently I was following a thug, in a skull hoodie, down the street. I carefully stayed at a safe distance. I watched him round a corner, so I picked up the paced and turned the corner.

"Yo this is our turf you bony bastard" I heard, then saw a Yellowjacket say to the guy I was following. Their were three Yellowjackets surrounding him. "Soon this whole city will be under our lord's control" The lone Skull thug preached. The more dominant of the three Yellowjacket's looked at his buddies.

"You hear this guy, he thinks his little cult can take on us" He said laughing. One second later I saw the guy punch the fanatic straight in the jaw. The skull thug fell to the ground with a thud.

"You tell your lord, that he can move to some other town, because Fortdale is BlackJacket's" The Yellowjacket thug said. I quickly turned around and left. I didn't have much interest in Yellowjacket's, but I did want to know how Enervate planned to take control of Fortdale.