Chapter 4

It was Thursday, almost Friday! I hopped off the bus and walked into school. People were gossiping amongst themselves. I walked into the Black & White and saw Abner sitting at one of the computers. I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat down in a comfy chair. I took a sip and pulled up Hero News on my phone. Their was a picture of the BlueKane slamming a guy's head into a car. The caption read: BlueKane, Hero or Criminal? The article was by Oliver... how did he even get this picture? I needed to write an article for next week's publication. I stood up and looked at the board, their were a few ideas for stories, but only one caught my eye. Apparently 700 pencils were stolen from the school's storage room. I pulled the tack out of it and took the paper. I finished my coffee and headed to first period. I was gonna talk to the principal at lunch.

☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆

  After my morning classes I headed to the principal's office. The oak door had the principal's named nailed to it with a copper plaque. I knocked 3 times, "come in" I heard a gruff voice say. "Hello Mr. Bradshire" I said politely. "What can I do for you Miss Jones" Mr. Bradshire says. I pulled out my journal and a pen, "I'd like to ask you a few questions about the missing pencils" I said to him. "Oh so you've joined the paper, well ask away" he said. "When were the pencils stolen?" I asked him. "Well, it was sometime last night, most likely around midnight since that is when the camera was obstructed with a piece of gum" Mr. Bradshire explained. I quickly wrote down what he said with shortened versions of words. I looked back up, "Was their any sign of forced entry?" I asked. "Yeah, the storage room's lock was broken" He told me. "Would it be ok if I examined the storage room?" I asked. Mr. Bradshire stood up, "Well I don't see why not" He said. Mr. Bradshire led me to the storage room that was robbed last night. I pushed open the door, he was right, the lock was definitely broken. A couple boxes were pushed over, and the boxes of pencils were completely empty. "Why would somebody need 700 pencils" the principal muttered. Agreed, I've been short on pencils in the past, but I've never broken into a store room and stolen almost a thousand pencils. I squatted down and pushed a box out of the way. A note laid where the box once sat. I picked it up and read it: Bring the pencils to the bio lab, tomorrow after school ~ J. I stuffed the note into my pocket and stood up. "Thank you for your time Mr. Bradshire" I said politely. I could feel his disappointment, but he smiled anyway, "Well, I hope your article turns out nice" He said before heading back to his office. I had a lead to follow, I could have told Mr. Bradshire, but what's the fun in that?

☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆

I walked out of 6th period chemistry class and into the hallway. Mr. Kanivah had a weird obsession with Kid Focus. I walked into the Black & White and sat my stuff on a table. Wendy saw me, "I heard from the principal, that you're chasing the pencil story" she smirked. "Yeah, I think it'll turn into a nice story" I thought back to the note. Wendy took a sip of coffee, "Yeah, too bad they haven't found the thieves though" She said. "Yeah too bad" I said, soon enough they will find them though. I sat around waiting for time to pass. I wrote a few draft introductions for my article, and played WarP Matcher, a matching game. When my phone's clock said 4:30, I stood up and poured myself a cup of coffee. I headed out of the Black & White and towards the Biology lab. The hallway was empty at the moment, so I slipped into a janitors closet nearby the Biology lab. I cracked the door, so I could see the Bio lab's door. Now I just wait.

5:30 P.M on the dot is when it happened. At first I heard a dragging sound, but then I saw it. Some kid was dragging a huge bag across the floor, no doubt filled with pencils. The thief knocked on the Bio labs door and waited. The door opened and Jason Dullen answered it! Jason is the school's quarterback, but he's also a massive jerk. He bullies nerds, and sexually harasses girls all the time. I don't feel any guilt as I snap a picture with my phone of Jason, as he opens the bag and pulls out a handful of pencils. "I'll make a killing off these" Jason said. Who sells pencils to make money? I would turn him in right now, but if I wait until next week's publication he'll get in even more trouble, and even that won't be enough punishment for all the girl's he's harassed.

☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆

I put on my "uniform" and headed out. I needed to figure out those skull people's plan. I jumped from the roofs of buildings across the city. I landed on top of a building to rest when I heard fighting below. I ran to the edge and saw The BlueKane fighting those guys with skull masks. Before I could join him, I saw him get over powered, and pushed to the ground. I saw the man who stole my Voxoe put his hand onto BlueKane's shoulder. It seemed like he was draining BlueKane's energy. I dropped down into the basket ball court they were in, "Stop it right now!" I yelled, now I didn't have mind control, but me yelling did startle them. The creepy man let go of the BlueKane and turned to face me. The BlueKane, judging by all the unconscious forms, had taken care of most of the goon's. Two goon's charged me, one with a pipe and the other unarmed. I grabbed the pipe, which cut my hand and used it to hit the unarmed goon across the head knocking him down. I then kicked the goon who I stole the pipe from into a wall, knocking him out. I picked up The BlueKane's staff and threw to him, since he was now standing. The blue vigilante started fighting the goon I had knocked down, while I turned to the energy draining man.

"Eden, you've found me" He smiled mischievously. "Who are you?!" I demanded. He laughed, "I've gone by many names, over the millennia, but you can call me Enervate" he said. "But enough about me, I heard, well, a little birdie told me you're brother committed suicide". My face paled, "After what happened to my men, I think we can agree, you're brother didn't commit suicide, not really." Enervate said smugly. I dug my fingernails into the cut in my hand, making blood drip from it. "You don't understand" I said. "Oh I think I do, you got mad at you're brother, and maybe you just didn't want to have to deal with his shit anymore." He laughed. "You don't understand" I screamed. Suddenly I felt myself drop and then it all went black.

☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆▪☆

My eyes fluttered open, and I could see a white ceiling through my mask. I looked around and saw a martial arts poster, "You're finally awake, thought I'd have to kiss you or something" said a voice. I freaked out and kicked the guy in the face. The guy fell back and grabbed his nose, "Oh my god, my freaking nose" the guy gasped. I looked at the guy's blue attire, oh shit it's The BlueKane. "What the heck lady!" He said. "Oh shit, I'm sorry" I said. I got off the bed and helped him up, "Are you okay?" I asked. I'm glad I was too tired to kick at my full strength, he'd be dead otherwise. "Yeah, doesn't feel broken" BlueKane said. I raised an eyebrow, "You sure?" I asked him. "Yeah, yep, totally fine" he said, "um, soooo, are you Eden?". I rolled my eyes, "No, the names BlueKane" I said. "Ah, well my names Ede- WAIT" BlueKane joked. I smiled, luckily my masked covered it. "We need to burn down a factory, that's why I was out there to begin with" He said. Because his bandana covered his mouth, I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. "Why?" I asked confused. "If we don't, a terrible drug is going to hit the streets" He explained. I adjusted my mask and sighed. I'm going to regret this, Alright let's go" I said.

The BlueKane shielded my eyes for like five minutes, so I didn't see his house. Finally he stopped shielding my eyes, but we still walked in silence. Suddenly, he just collapsed, "BlueKane?" I asked in concern. I kneeled down, he was passed out. Enervate took a lot out of him. I dragged him into a bush, well at least I don't have to be an arson.