Chapter 7

I landed on the roof of a building that conveniently had a skull painted on it. I looked through a skylight and saw people sleeping, with skull masks at their sides. The best way to draw out Enervate? Mess with his men's sleeping quarters. Unless he is also in there... well, here goes nothing. I was about to jump in when I had a better idea. I grabbed a brick and dropped it on one of the sleeping bodies. I moved out of sight and listened. The man woke up and started freaking put. He woke up all of them and told them that someone was in there. I laughed a little when they found no one and got irritated at the one who woke them up. I looked in, and sent a wave of anger to amplify their irritation. Soon the small base, erupted into what could be mistaken as a bar fight.

The fight spilled onto the street knocking over trash cans, and breaking the wind shields of curb side cars. Bystanders fled the scene, as the rowdy skull gang fought for no apparent reason. I could hear sirens in the distance, but the loud brawlers below didn't seem to hear. I tightened my mask as the squad cars pulled up on the scene. Finally it seemed the skull gang realized their situation, and they scattered. The police rounded up many of Enervate's men, which brought a smile to my face. Maybe this will cause him to act. I turned in the opposite direction and jumped to a nearby building. I continued searching for ways to lure him out.

  I couldn't find anymore conveniently marked bases, but I did hear an explosion. I quickly jumped across the buildings towards the noise.  I made my way through the urban jungle and landed near the police station. A medium sized hole had been blown in its side. Skull gang members minus the masks, were pouring out. I looked at the men who had freed them, they were wearing skull masks and were providing cover fire from the police.

I saw a shape zoom forward and grab a policeman. The shape flew into the air, and then dropped the officer. I jumped forward, but was to late and he fell in front of me. I put a hand to my mouth and looked at him. It looked like the man had died before he had even hit the ground. I looked up into the air and saw him. Enervate was hovering in the air, cackling loudly.

"Bow before you're superior!!! For I am Death himself!!! Fortdale, and then the world, will fear the name Enervate!!!" He bellowed. Despite the theatrics, fear rippled through the air. I looked around, the cops had froze in fear, they weren't trained for this. The Skull gang now had control of the situation. Enervate lowered to the ground a little ways away from me. He stopped in front of teen boy. Fear was evident in the boys eyes.

"Do not fret, for your soul will help fuel my power. It will live on." Enervate assured the boy. I watched as Enervate moved his hand towards the boy. I watched in what felt like slow motion, my body unable to move. No! I have to do something. As Enervate's hand began to touch the boy, I screamed and lunged forward. My super powerful legs launched me forward, and I tackled Enervate at high speeds. We hit the ground and tumbled across the pavement.  We slammed into a police car. I groaned and opened my eyes. I saw Enervate's hand coming towards me. I quickly kicked my foot forward sending Enervate into the air. I got to my feet as Enervate steadied himself in the air.

"Oh Eden it's you, um... you think your weak heroism will defeat me?" Enervate said as he regained his showmanship.

"I can try" I said before jumping into the air towards him. I threw a punch towards him but he flew to the side. I landed on the grounds and rolled. I turned towards Enervate and sent a wave of depression through the air towards him. His flight faltered but he shook it off. Damnit, how can he just brush it off.

"Like I've said before, you are not strong enough to stop me." Enervate said before zooming towards me. I tried to jump away, but he grabbed me and lifted me into the air. I struggled as Enervate pushed my sleeve up, and grabbed ahold of my arm. I could feel my soul begin to be eaten. I weakly kicked my legs but they only found air.

"S-top......it .." I managed to say in my weakening state. POW! I heard a loud sound, and then heard the sound of a bullet piercing flesh. Suddenly I felt myself falling and looked down at the ground rushing towards me. My strength was barely returning to me, but I braced my legs for impact. Enervate had taken us higher then I had realized while my soul was being drained. I landed on my feet, which sent pain through my legs, but my power did its job. The asphalt dented into a crater and I fell to my knees.

I struggled to my feet and looked around. People were snapping pictures, and paramedics had arrived. Most of the skull gang had fled, though a few had been apprehended. Paramedics rushed over to me, but I ran from them. My legs allowed me to run, but I had feeling they weren't in any condition to jump. I made it into an alleyway, and caught my breath. Enervate was right, I'm not ready to face him yet.

I climbed up a fire escape, passing by peoples windows. I saw a small child stare at my masked face in wonder as I went by their window. I finally made it to the top of the building. I honestly don't think I have ever had to climb up a building, I always just jump. I walked over to edge of the building and looked over the city. I may not be strong enough to defeat Enervate yet, but I can still deal with his goons and keep his plans from succeeding.