Children

A gentle breeze sailed through their hair while the setting sun glared at them in the distance. The sky was like a watercolour painting, full of glorious reds and oranges, as if someone had just smeared paint carelessly across a blank canvas. Bright green grass glistened with the reminiscences of rain that had fallen mere hours earlier. A lonely tree stood tall and proud in the centre of it all, watching and waiting. Dancing silently in the soft wind, with bark as rough as sandpaper, its branches reached out to every ounce of wildlife nearby and comforted them greatly as they looked on together.

Merry laughter sang out across the field. Three children were happily playing and squealing; they were blissfully ignorant of what was about to come. One was wearing an extremely vivid pink hat, which contrasted harshly with the beautiful lawn underneath them. Suddenly, they were up on their tiny feet and racing across the meadow. A flock of birds flew away in shock. One was faster than the others, zooming ahead, laughing joyfully. Unexpectedly, a piercing scream echoed all over the place, sounding shrill and sharp in the other children's ears. Then, silence. All that was left of the first child was an extremely vivid pink hat.