Held Captive

I'm trapped. Solid walls contain me as I cautiously swim in-between the same barriers every day. All the time I wish for my freedom back, with more space to roam and explore, as free as a bird in the sky.

Dazzling lights blind me here, while a cacophony of noises screech in my head. I cry and scream for my family, before remembering that it's hopeless and I am lost in a confined prison.

Sometimes I recognise humans watching me as I swim defencelessly around. When I see them, I hope with all my heart that they are here to rescue me, until eventually my soul breaks with the realisation that all they are doing is staring and pointing and laughing at me.

I crave my home, where blue sparkling light flutters in from the surface, unveiling untold secrets. Colourful coral glows vividly as it rises upwards, towering above me like a mountain. Rocks are silhouettes in the dim shimmer.

Everything flickers before my eyes before it fades, as if it was only a faraway dream.

I can feel strong hands grab me and heave me out of my prison. If I had the strength I would cry out with joy from the relief at being saved.

However, I am not being saved. These hands are rough against my skin and I find myself struggling to breathe. These hands may not be taking me home, but they are taking me somewhere more peaceful than this cage, and, although the journey is painful, I find I can finally rest.