Gone Wrong

Sparkling snow drifted down from the thick clouds hovering over the beautiful forest. Trees turn into startling white statues as the road becomes covered in a blanket of ice. Delicate snowdrops glisten in the glare of the car's headlights while birds hurry along to keep warm.

A horn blares. Hundreds of cars are queued on the icy tarmac as close as peas in a pod. Bright flashing lights dance ahead where sirens can be heard getting nearer, but they only succeed in making people more impatient.

Lively chattering fills the car; the feeling of happiness at the snow overwhelms the cold environment attempting to engulf them. Stern orders from parents to be quiet fails to reduce the excited noise of innocent playfulness and joy. It almost feels like a party.

Finally, the stream of traffic moves, slowly at first, like a river flowing gently in a light breeze. However, as the wind picks up into a howling gale, the cars seem to crash against each other as violent as waves on a stormy day at sea. A state of temporary calmness returns, but it's gone in a short moment. Just as the children start to begin their happy chatter again, a loud crunch echoes through the vehicle and a sudden jolt interrupts the peace, sending it into mayhem.

Silence simply surrounds everyone for a second, allowing the shock and terror to settle. An innocent cry pierces the silence like a stab wound, the sound a parent never wishes to hear from their child. Panic increases as people start to push and shove; no one is entirely sure what's happening. All I can think is, "This wasn't supposed to happen. It's all gone wrong."