🐓 Chapter Five 🐓

I made my way to the second-story house alone, which felt slightly weird. Since the distance from where I was and where I needed to be wasn’t very far, my brain didn’t have time to reopen some of the closing thoughts from earlier. 

Opening the door, I saw that my mother was on the phone. I was pretty sure it was her assistant by the way she said ‘totally, yep, totally’ way too many times for comfort, but what unsettled me is that she said ‘love you, bye’ whoever was on the end of the line once they had said goodbye. 

“Was that dad?” I questioned, and I saw her face change a little. 

“Sorry Katsuki, I got a little caught up in this call and didn’t know you got home. How was your time with that Kirishima boy?”

My eyebrows became furrowed and I sat on the couch across from her. “Mom, you didn’t answer my question. Was that dad on the phone talking to you just now?” I asked her one final time.

This wasn’t like her to say  ‘I love you’ to someone that wasn’t her family or her husband. 

“No, that wasn’t your father. I was doing a business call. Now, we’re going to the Hula restaurant tonight and I want you at least to look nice. I don’t want to hear any shit because you’re going whether you like it or not” she growled. 

I simply rolled my eyes and headed upstairs, not thinking about Kirishima or the dinner plans or anything else at that moment. Maybe it was just a slip-up. She probably only said ‘I love you’ as a friendly thing as many people did. 

I went into my room and began to unpack the rest of my clothes, putting them into either the closet or the dresser that was already in the room. My mother said I had packed too much, although she had brought probably three times the amount I had. I took a white button-down shirt that had little sharks on it and picked out some black pants to match. 

After getting them on, I laid down in bed and pulled out my phone. Classmates of mine had posted photos of what they were doing during summer break, and honestly none of the things they were doing looked as cool as mine.

Tape-head went to see some movies, Dunce-face was hanging out with his girlfriend, and Ashido was with all her friends at the pride parade in Times Square. I hated that I had to miss it because we all planned on going together, but at the same time, I was thankful that I was on an island far, far away from New York. 

Last year, I had gone with my boyfriend and he broke up with me in front of all our friends. Even some random strangers who saw the scenario and looked bewildered. I ended up yelling at him in tears and then running home, but I remember seeing his face.

He looked sad, although it didn’t really seem like it by the way he acted. His red and white hair slightly over his eyes, and small rainbows on his cheeks long smudged off. 

I never had the guts to talk to him ever again; mostly because we had something so real and special and I never wanted to dwell on it for the rest of my life.

Throwing my phone across the room, I wiped the small tears resonating in the corners of my eyes and decided to stop thinking about what had happened. Keeping it locked up in the very back of my mind had worked so far, so I wasn’t going to give up on that method.

I went back downstairs to eat something for lunch. I saw that the time was two-fifteen on the oven, and took that into account. There was probably about three hours of time until we had to leave. 

Looking through the fridge, there wasn’t much except for fruit and leftovers. I took some of the leftovers from last night and put them into a bowl. After a few minutes of messing with buttons, I figured out how to use the microwave.