▫️Chapter Thirty One▪️

"He's going to be alright, Katsuki. Stop getting so stressed." The old hag told me as we waited in the lobby for Kirishima to be done with his police interview. I glared over at her, sitting back in my seat and crossing my arms. "I'm not nervous". I declared, eyebrows knitted together in an unfriendly expression.

The hag rolled her eyes at me, pulling a piece of gum and offering to me. "Yes you are, you clench your jaw when you're stressed and you started looking constipated so take this." I rolled my eyes back at her and took the gum and began chewing. It was fruit flavored, which she knew I hated but she liked it so it was the only kind she ever bought.

An evil smirk appeared on her face as she watched my expression go sour, and to that I flipped her off.

After what seemed like a million billion years or so, the red haired, well-, techinically black haired boy walked into the lobby and looked at me with a smile. The Chief came as well, and I could tell that it turned out better than I had previously thought. No tear streaks, no puffy eyes.

Things seemed.... better.

And all I coould do was hope that it would last long enough.

The tall woman walked up to us with Eijiro, her eyebrows slightly furrowed together. "I would like to speak with you both, please" She said, and we followed her back. I was getting slight flashbacks from when we first came here two days ago. Everything was the same, but yet felt so different. I felt something touch my hand which made me flinch. The redheadded boy laughed and held onto my hand tighter. I laughed a little too.

"Sorry..." I mumbled looking down. I grinned, a little shy and embarrased around him now. This was the kind of love I'd hoped for, typical teenage love. Is that boring? To just want things to be average or easy? To be "casual" about things?

I guess our relationship had been far from normal, but that didn't mean it couldn't be in the future.

Once we had made it into the room, both Eijiro and I sat down in the chairs in front of the Chief's desk, while my mom stood by the door. We let go of each other's hands, and I hated how that felt. The tall woman cleared her throat before speaking to us in her strict, but yet gentle tone.

"We don't get many child abuse cases, and this is one of the most severe we've had in years. I've been working out what we're going to do moving forward and we've decided that Eijiro is to live with his family, and your uncle is going to be detained until further notice." She said.

I couldn't even hear what she began to say afterward, my mind began to cloud and repeated the same sentence over and over again.

Eijiro is going to live with his family.

He won't be living with me, and I may not be able to see him until I graduate. That's two whole years, and we have no way of communicating since he doesn't have a phone.

My vision clouded and I held back tears, feeling so unbelievably weak in this moment. I had no say in anything that would happen and let fantasies get to my head.

The Chief cleared her throat, but I didn't look up at her. I hung my head in defeat, feeling my chest sink further and further.

"However...." She begun, and I felt the old hag put her hand on my shoulder. "If Eijiro does not feel safe living with his aunt and cousin, then it would be wrong to put him back in that household." She finished, and I felt my chest rise a little. What would Eijiro do?

I wanted to beg for him to stay with me, to come to New York and share a room with me. I was so attatched to him, I felt so much love when I was around him. I had fallen so deep in love with him that I couldn't recover like I could with Shouto.

For so long I had just cut everyone out of my life, just like tags off of clothing. But Kirishima, he was different. He was so much more than the others, and I couldn't bear the thought of him staying here.

It felt selfish, and it probably was, but I was a kid.

A kid who had everything he'd ever wanted and didn't want to let it go.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Eijiro shift a bit in his seat, and I looked over to him out of instinct. Lifting my neck up hurt, it felt stiff and sore as hell.

The redhead seemed to be thinking deeply, his deep red hair falling in front of his face. I'm sure making this kind of decision was more than difficult. I know how much he loved his home and his family, it was all he would ever talk about. Kirishima looked up at the darker woman. "I'd like to talk to my aunt, first. Would that be okay? I know her phone number...." He said, slightly trailing off at the end.

My mom squeezed my shoulder. "Let's go get something to eat, I'm sure you're hungry too." I nodded, knowing that we were really just leaving to give them some privacy. I walked with her to the door, turning back to see Eijiro one last time as he waved goodbye.