"Yeah, you're too pretty to me weak, pretty lady." Avant winked at Lotus, making them laugh.

               "Thank you, AV." Lotus smiled grabbing the paint cans she needs for the mural.

               "You ever thought bout findin' yo' Pops?" Troy wondered, "Shit he'll probably give you a way better reaction than yo' moms did."

               "Can't do that if my birth mother won't have a conversation with me." Lotus responded filling the cart with paint cans and brushes.

               "Her loss," Troy shrugged. "You've done all you can do. It's on yo' birth moms now. She the parent, not you. You not obligated to chase her. Keep doin' whatchu been doin—Growing into a flourishing Black Queen."

               Lotus smiled at Troy, appreciating his words then looked at Toby. "You really done a great job raising your son's. I felt like shit yesterday honestly. But talking to y'all really helped me. Thank you."

               "Shit, you basically fam now." Troy tossed his hand over her shoulder, "We got you."

               "Nuh-uh; she my future wife." Avant bounced his eyebrows up and down as they approached the registers.

               They shared a laughter once more as they reached one cash register and heard, "Troy?"

               The sound of his son's name paused Toby's motions from helping put the paint cans on the conveyor belt and peered behind him to the young woman with cinnamon brown skin and a curvaceous stature. Her honey dyed bouncy, kinky curls flourished on top of her head tapered and medium-maintenance. The bamboo earrings in her earlobes were large and she sported a bandeau shorts jumpsuit.

               Toby's energy shifted as soon as he recognized her. The twenty year old didn't have a chance to respond since he was tightly pulled into a hug. Toby eyed the forced smile his son curled on his lips and furrowed his eyebrows.

               "Oh my God I missed you."

               Toby felt a tap on his shoulder and he looked at Avant standing in the shopping cart as the nine year old whispered, "that's his ex."

               His eyebrows raised instantly hearing the information. "Who you again?"

               She stared at Toby. "Shondrea; a friend of Troy's."

               "And I'm his father." her eyes enlarged slightly, "Yea' I'm home, miss lady. If you don't mind steppin' back tho' we gotta pay and go."

               Shondrea was quickly intimidated by his demeanor and moved backward to the shopping cart where another woman stood as Toby slid his card to pay. "So, will you call me?"

               Troy stammered for a second before his words came out. "No."

               "But, Troy—"