Chapter 51: Under Attack

Start from the beginning

"Sauron wants you?" asked Ruven, looking down at her, a frown pulling heavily at his lips.

"If Saruman is to be believed about the master of Dol Guldur, then yes," said Thorin nodding.

"What does he hope to achieve by capturing you?"

"Who's to say," said Sara, trying to repress a shudder. "I hope never to find out. It's bad enough being hounded by Saruman and Azog. The faster we get away and the more distance we put between us, the better."

"Very well," said Legolas. "If that is truly the case then we should get moving. Follow me." He led them to a small sandy bank on the edge of the river and through the gloom Sara could make out the large group of barrels of various sizes bobbing in the water before the bridge. Fili waded out a few feet and caught one of the mid side barrels. After prying off the lid he tipped it on its side and reached within pulling out two apples. Stuffing them into his pocket he carefully crawled inside the barrel which almost reached to his armpits and set it adrift, but no sooner had he done so then the barrel tipped over, sending Fili once again into the churning water.

"It's no use," he said, splashing back to shore, towing the barrel behind. "We are sure to drown. We cannot float down the river in these unless we seal ourselves in, and that is not a wise option with orcs about."

"Then it's a good thing that Myrin and I came prepared," said Lierin, pulling several large bundles of thin rope off his shoulder and tossing one to Fili. Fili caught it, his teeth flashing in the dark as a wide grin split his face.

One by one the barrels were fished out of the river by Myrin and Lierin who used long hooked poles to catch and steer them towards the river bank. By the light of the torches burning on the bridge the barrels were lashed together into two makeshift rafts. Nine of the three foot wide barrels were arranged around one of the enormous six foot wide wine barrels in the center. Into this center wine barrel went the company's packs and the other barrels lids before being sealed shut. The company may have a wet ride ahead of them but at least they would have dry clothes when they arrived at their destination even if they did smell of fermented grapes. The first of these two craft bobbed in the water just off shore, tied to a tree to keep it from floating away. Aboard Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, and Ori were tucked into their respective barrels. Though Fili and Kili were meant to ride in the first raft they had yet to hunker down as they were busily helping to secure the second. The pale looking Dwalin was already stashed in his barrel and under the imposed supervision of Oin and Gloin as Thorin worked to secure some knots around his barrel. The elves spoke quietly with each other in their own tongue near the bottom of the bridge, all except for Ruven who had followed Sara and Bilbo up onto the bridge, sticking to them like a second skin. Sara didn't really mind. Ruven may not be extremely sociable but he was quiet and at times oddly thoughtful in his own rough way. Perhaps the reason he and Dwalin did not get on was because of their bizarre similarities. He just stood beside them surveying their surroundings. She worried at an already too short finger nail. Just what made this elf tick. Why had he chosen to throw his lot in with her despite Legolas's uncertainty.

The eastern horizon was now stained a pale yellow and though the sun had not yet risen there was enough light in the breaking dawn for Sara and Bilbo to stumble about without aid. Sara had climbed to the top of the bridge to try and scope out the flow of the river below. It seemed that the water that flowed out from under the elven palace had been diverted to do so. Down river it was clear that this diverted water rejoined the main river and that once it did the water's flow became more tempestuous, dotted with boulders and rapids. Sara leaned out over the stone wall of the bridge, squinting into the gloom, hoping to see a way through it all but it was no use. She looked down at the drop just outside the gate, worrying at her lip. The water fell some 12 feet before flowing on and she could only hope the rafts would hold up. She glanced up at Ruven who was still by her side, shadowing her. There was a minute frown on his lips.