Part Six: Tragic Incidents

"IT'S QUITE AMUSING HOW HUMANS TEND TO PRETEND LIKE THEY ARE WORTHY OF MY RESPECT."

- REID

I ONCE THOUGHT THAT my latecomings would be lessened now that I had managed to attend school earlier. But my compensation was overdue, and Mr. Gibson's face reflected the idealistic guidance, grimacing when he saw me standing in front of his classroom again for the seventeenth time. His demeanor proves that he's beyond ridiculed that I always disregard the school's policy and make fun of the blood-curdling essay, which is not.

I woke up late in the morning because my body didn't take yesterday's lack of rest lightly. The street was covered with thick and heavy traffic. I tried to explain it thoroughly to Mr. Gibson, and now I was pleading that he wouldn't tell Mrs. Heathers.

"No, I will report this offense to your mother," he declared. "I'm quite disappointed that a new student with a well-respected family would cause such an offense. Three plates are enough, and yet you'll make seventeen of them? Where's your manners, young lady?-" Mr. Gibson scowled, glaring at me. I bit my lip and stared at the floor, ashamed and relieved that Reid was not here to witness such pity.

"Now, did you realize what you have done? Mastema should not tolerate such students. And it's my job to discipline that kind of attitude," he shouted, walking at the same pace again. I started to blink away the tears in my eyes.

"One more late-coming, Ms. Heathers, one more, and you'll be out of this School."

THE LUNCH BREAK started, and I sat at our table, ashamed and disappointed. The food was too pale to look at, and I put it aside on our table. Before Emily noticed my actions, "What's wrong? Did something happen?" She asked worriedly. I planned to tell her I felt unwell, but her eyes pleaded for honesty.

"I'm having conflicts with my tardiness," I began. "Mr. Gibson said that he wouldn't tolerate it, and if I was late for one last time, he would force me to drop out of school."

Esmeralda exhaled sharply. " He's a complete sadist," she frowned. Reid has been late every day for the past three years. And yet Mr. Gibson would dare to threaten you like that? The nerves of teachers," she mumbled under her breath. Alexis scoffed, and she put down her utensils.

"It's also your fault, Mary, not only Mr. Gibson's because you can always choose whether to be late or not; you once proved that when you were early yesterday." She scolded, raising her eyebrow in disbelief. I lowered my head and dared myself not to cry. Alexis was right; I always had the choice. Emily touched my hands and scowled at Alexis.

"Stop it, Alexis. You're only making things worse." She bit out before soothing me. "Don't worry, Mary; Mr. Gibson might change his mind. And you might find a way to solve this problem," Alexis went mad when she heard Emily savagely running her fingers through her hair.

"This is complete bullshit. Stop pretending like you're too innocent, Mary Jane. Dare to continue that attitude, and you will not survive," she spat every one of her words, shaking her head before leaving our table.

"She's just jealous of you, Mary. Don't mind her," Emily smiled, putting the plate before me. "Now, please eat your food. It would be a waste if you didn't." She smiled, soothing my back. I nodded and began to eat my meal, which tasted strange, unlike the food that Mrs. Heathers would always give me.

After we ate our lunch, Emily guided me towards the girl's locker to change our clothes for our physical education subject. I felt cold, and my face drained its whole color. Emily noticed the change in my appearance, and she helped me change my clothes before speaking softly in my ears, "Don't worry, let's just finish this class, and I'll chaperone you at the infirmary." She offered, and I nodded weakly.

We got inside the gym. Luca helped me settle at the bleachers, and I thanked him after that. Emily assured me that I just had to rest, and I tried to sleep on my knees while my classmates practiced for the upcoming sports fest. The sound of the dribbling was chaotic but not enough to make me uncomfortable.

It had been fifteen minutes when someone patted my shoulders. I lifted my head and saw our P.E. teacher looking at me with favor in his eyes. "I know that you're not feeling well, lass, but can you please take out the tennis racket and tennis balls at the storage house?" he asked.

I thought for a second and nodded my head, leaving the gym before proceeding to the storage house. The Campus was large, and I was almost lost when I found the school bodyguard. "Um, pardon me, but may I ask where the storage house was?"

He looked at me for a couple of seconds before nodding his head. "It's located at wing A, in front of sections 3-2 and 7-9," he explained, pointing at the other building. I thanked him and strode towards the given location, encouraging myself that I could do it. I was almost halfway towards the storage house when I felt exhausted and cold, but I forced my feet to go on.

I entered the storage house. Walking inside- it was dark and dusty, with several sports equipment arranged neatly with its large iron net. I tried to find the tennis rackets and grab the net box, grunting as I pulled it outside the storage house.

THUMP. CLINK.

I turned around and froze when someone closed the door. Striding before slamming, "There's someone here!!!" I yelled, "Please, open the door!!" No, please...not in a place like this...no...

There's black spots started to invade my vision. And I felt suffocated, afraid of the close spaces, starting to have heavy breathings before I fainted.

NURSE JUDITH WAS beyond surprise when I woke up. Giving me some water, I gladly took it and thanked her. Massaging my head that aches terribly, "I talked with your Gym teacher, and he said that he's sorry that you were asked to get the equipment, even though you're claustrophobic. But he didn't know who locked you back on the storage house." she explained with her most soothing voice.

"How long was I sleep?" I asked weakly, worried about the subjects that I missed.

"Three hours. But don't worry about the two subjects, I asked one of your classmates to inform you everything as soon as you meet her," she smiled. I nod and put the glass of water on top of the table.

"Who took me here?" I asked.

"It's Luca. And last, that boy seemed worried and panicked when he was holding you, explaining to me that he just found you lying there unconscious," she explained thoroughly.

I nodded and took note to thank Luca after I rested. Laying my head back on the soft white pillow—someone knocked on the door, and nurse Judith smiled reassuringly before opening it up. Sir Alfred stood in front of the door, asking Nurse Judith to give us some private conversation before she finally gave up and walked outside of the infirmary. "You haven't attended my tutor since yesterday," Sir Alfred began. "Until someone told me you have fainted in the storage house."

I felt guilty when Sir Alfred mentioned the topic. "I'm sorry, Sir Alfred; I forgot to spare you a visit," I confessed.

"Don't worry, Mary Jane; I didn't come here to scold you about that manner. But my visit is because I wanted to inform you that your Mother called." He explained, "Mr. Gibson informed her about your latecoming. I'm sorry to tell you that you don't have to go home anymore because she has arranged the paperwork for your dorm here in Mastema. To help you decrease your offenses,"

"I'll be living in dorms? But when can I return home?" I asked worriedly, unsettled by the sudden arrangements.

"You will only be allowed to go home on weekends. That's the standard rule for all of the Mastema students," Sir Alfred said. Now, if you must excuse me, I'll go and inform Mrs. Heathers about your condition."

"No," I protested. "Don't tell Mother, please; just let her know I'm fine living in dorms. And please do say thank you."

I had been uncomfortable for the past two hours, thinking and rethinking about a topic. I stared at the ceiling for a long time, not noticing that I'd already spent five hours in the infirmary. Nurse Judith came in, and she smiled softly.

"You have a guest, Mary," she spoke softly.