Part Eight: The Interval

A shout-out to Macy and Aunt Mary Anne; thank you for the box and pragmatic book. :]

"IF YOU GAZE LONG INTO AN ABYSS, THE ABYSS WILL GAZE BACK INTO YOU."

-FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

A TRADITION IN Mastema is on the last day of every month. There's a long weekend that'll befall. The interval would last two weeks straight. It was a practice of the Academe to allow the students to spend their time on the household onuses, knowing that the lineage of the scholars in this place were sovereigns, likened to the other prestige of learners.

I least evoked the atmosphere of the mansion. But all I knew was that I found it distinctly unpleasant. It didn't provide the same warmth as an emblematic household does.

There's something wrong. But something was keeping me away from it.

The carriage gathered back my thoughts, and I stirred in my seat. My bonnet was disarranging on top of my head, and I graciously fixed it-I never liked riding in this transport, the constant shaking of the wheel is making me bilious.

I kneaded my forehead softly while my eyes were closed; waking up at four in the morning in Dominic's dorm and riding a conveyance after was arduous. I'm glad he made me drink an herbal feast before the departure. But I noticed he seemed distant last night; it's like he was calm, but his eyes seemed cold. I had never seen Dominic act like that way beforehand; I even caught him burning infuriated regard on my brim where Reid had caressed me.

But I don't want to remember last night; it obscures me.

My arms were wrapped around my bosom, and I knew that sulk was evident in my features. The scenery was blurred due to the poorly cleaned window, and I wondered what happened to George. He used to drive me back and forth from the mansion to Mastema. But an old class carriage picked me up instead of an advanced vehicle.

"I've brought some lunch; you could tell me if you're famished, young mistress. Lady Devana strictly requires that you should not starve during the ride," Naomi's voice sounded meek, and it plights me.

My eyes soften, but I glance at the window instead, "Thank you. But I'm not famished yet."

Naomi opened her mouth to speak but knew better and kept it all inside. I felt bad, but all I wanted was silence during this time. I knew that it would be perceived as a rude remark if I dared to speak another word. And I do not want that to happen.

I'll now be staying in the mansion for two weeks. I'd even rather do a thousand dissertations than stay in that place. It terrifies me.

"Why does the weather here seem to be grayish? Is the winter coming?" I asked, looking outside of the windshield.

The open air from the frame displays the dark green mosses on the road itself. The trees seemed to be withering, and the cloud was gloomy. It appears it will rain anytime soon, but the extraordinary cold speaks for the midwinter season.

"Not yet, young mistress; winter season will take place next four months."

"I see, so this weather was just standard here then." I gestured.

She nodded, and I took a deep breath, pushing my back deeper on the leather seat. I already felt jaded; this ride seemed going on for centuries. And the weather even gets into our topic. My hands vaguely fiddled with the rose necklace, and I suddenly felt warmth and comfort.

"How's mother doing?" I asked.

"Lady Devana has had ill health. But your Father has already assigned a doctor to assist her state."