Part Four: Devil's Nocturne

"HE WILL DO EVERYTHING JUST TO KEEP YOU BY HIS SIDE. BUT THE ONLY THING THOUGH, IS WE HAVEN'T SEEN OUR DOMINIC ACT LIKE THAT WAY BEFORE, YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOMETHING IMPORTANT."

- DARIUS SIN

THE LIGHTS WENT OUT, AND THE evening air suddenly upsurged; I settled the letter on top of the bed and readjusted my eyes to perceive the thick expanse of dusk. But the lone rays of moonlight from the tall window creeping amid the dark red curtains help me from the sudden rigidity; walking out of the bed before grasping the leather cloth that blocks the overcast blue rays of moonlight—just as I hoped it would be—the moonlight-rays enlightened the room with the most eerie and disconcerting way.

Where are you? I thought as I closed my eyes, holding the curtain too tight between my fingers.

I've been feeling that something was wrong lately, and the intuition of doubt that someone has been following me has been thriving itself into life; I open the curtains wider, hearing the shuffling sound of the crisp linen fabric before putting its edges on the lock-pins. When I finally settled the massive curtains, I searched for the candlesticks and matched them, opening up the drawers near the bed.

The obscurity made the things harder to find, but I peered my eyes to see the objects as visible as I could, fishing out the conjoint equipment that's been put inside of the wooden drawer—my fingers suddenly graze into something that had a sharp edge but smooth base, taking it before confirming that it's a match, lighting up the reedy candlestick and the room was filled with the dull and flickering lights emitting from the candle.

The drawer was left open, and I held my light source, finding more candles to be lit when I found something adjacent to the other things instead; it was a red velvet box with a beautiful rose sculpted against its opening. My hands touched the smooth granite, and my chest rose from the familiar excitement, taking it from the drawer before fathoming its details—I felt bad—But I wanted to see what was inside...

My hands instinctively brushed the box, having a mental debate about whether I should open it or not; when I finally made up my mind, putting manners before curiosity—I put it back inside, closing the drawer, leaving a crisp sound of 'thud' midst the deafening silent of the room.

I suddenly froze when the candlelight vanished as if someone had propelled it; the room grew into an unearthly cold, and the hair behind my neck stood.

"Mary Jane..." the baleful voice of a female whispered through the evening air.

I closed my eyes, and fear overtook me—my whole body became stiff—my breath got caught up in my throat—my heartbeat stopped from the sinister voice behind...

Don't answer back...or she'll remain...

"Why are you ignoring me?" the voice sounded livid and subterranean; her throat was gurgling from liquid, and the disturbing cold brushed against my ears.

A sob escaped from my lips, and I shut my eyes tight, holding my nightgown tightly between my fingers, and my whole body shook violently, fearing the voice that's been haunting me in every one of my nightmares...every night...

"If you don't answer me, you will die..."

"Just leave me alone,"

"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

"Stay away from my life."

"I will... If you do what I want..."

THE WOODEN DESK FELT COLD and dull against my forehead. The distant chattering of my peers seemed to be chaotic and raucous, so I held up my arms and covered my ears, trying to relax my state on my first period since our lecturer hadn't arrived yet—last night was a living nightmare, and It troubled me to the point, that I haven't been able to sleep like I did a few days ago.