Part Eleven: Polonaise Fantaisie

"IT'S QUITE UNANTICIPATED ON HOW PROVIDENCE CAN TURN TABLES."

- MARY JANE

I TOUCH my collar and realize that the necklace is gone. My eyebrows furrowed. I didn't dredge up bringing up the rear. The last thing I remembered was being in the carriage with Mrs Heathers. Having dinner with unfamiliar people- then conversing with a man. I didn't catch his name. The memory seems to be distant. I look down on my knees, just to avoid the disappointment in his eyes.

"I lost it." I proclaimed. My cheeks were flaming red from discomfiture.

I felt the familiar pair of soft lips touching my forehead. "It's alright, don't be scared." He caged me into his arms; all I could do was lean on it.

His mannish perfume was pleasant. It whiffs like the fragrance of after-stream, winter, and pristine. I'm starting to feel drowsy and nearly doze on his arms. He didn't need a word to take me into his bed. Dominic carries me with my knees wrapped on his side, my face resting on his chest.

"Dominic," my voice came out soft, barely audible. "Why do they detest you? They told me that you're treacherous."

His lips curved upward.

It's like he's enjoying the game.

"I am."

THERE ARE several letters in my locker. Emily had been grinning ear to ear since we walked in the hallway. She dyed her hair from russet to ginger. It least suits her, but she just dismisses my concern. "Where did all of these come from?" I curiously asked. It's the first time I have received an enormous amount of letters, not to say unswervingly placed on my other personal things.

"Oh, come on, Jane, they are from your aficionados. Fans precisely," she beams.

My cheeks burned.

I awkwardly took the letters. I never received a fan letter before. But it felt good. It's been a long-lost desire to be acknowledged here at the academe. I'm no longer the imperceptible pariah.

"Can I read one of those?" Emily batted her eyelashes. I smiled and handed her one of the cautiously pleated envelopes, and she almost jumped out for joy.

"The first one is from Harry. Harry Edwards." She cleared her throat before opening the seal.

"Mary Jane, to be honest, I never knew you before," Emily snorted, and she covered it with a cough. I just shook my head. She smirks. "Alright, alright-but you fucking look good on your performance. You nailed it. I'm just hoping that you'll continue to do more enactments because I'll support you from now on. I also heard from Calvin that you're single, so if you don't mind, we can hang out sometimes and see if we can be a thing... with great admiration, Harry."

That was smooth. No doubt that Harry was a friend of the triplets.

The bell rang, and I shook my head. "It's time; we can read the remaining ones later."

"You better promise it to me. I want to read it so badly." Her big brown eyes peered, and I chuckled.

"Yes, of course. I promise."

I hurdled when she took half of the letters. "Just to make sure and to pass the time since History is boring." Then she walks in the opposite direction from mine.

Sir Alfred. I remember that I still have to take cramming lessons. I put the letters back in my locker before my first class. It makes me wonder why I solitarily meet Dominic in regular classes. Perhaps he's in the other building? But we've never met at the canteen before.