Part Three: Seven Brothers

"I'M FRIGHTENED, FAR BEYOND, THAT LATELY, RED HAD GONE MORBID."

- MARY JANE

WHEN I ARRIVED AT the mansion, I expected to receive some disciplinary lectures from Mrs. Heathers or either of the Maids living in the house because that's the lifestyle that I grew up with. But surprisingly, there wasn't. Mrs. Heathers herself seemed to be joyous and delighted the moment I arrived. And I suddenly felt guilty because I did know that I deserved a punishment.

"How's your first day of school?" Mrs. Heathers asked. Holding a thick novel in her hands, I said, "It's nice. "I've met some new friends in Mastema."

Her eyes lit up. And she patted the sofa, motioning for me to sit with her. "Tell me more about it, Mary." She said sweetly, settling the book on top of the table—I hesitated initially, not used to talking with my real mother. But I followed her amidst my hesitation.

"They're three girls," I started, "all seem friendly and nice. So, I grew comfortable hanging out with them. Their names are Emily, Alexis, and Esmeralda." I smiled, remembering my friends. Mrs. Heathers flashed a tight smile and put her hands on my shoulders.

"It's very nice to hear you already have friends, Mary. But keep in mind never to put your complete trust in anyone other than me. Because you never know if that or those people will betray you," she scolded. Her dark red eyes pleaded for obedience.

I pressed my lips together, nodding my head. "Yes, Mrs. Heathers, I'll keep that in mind," I answered quietly. She smiled and kissed my forehead, "Good child, now ask Naomi to change your dress. We'll be having supper,"

Nodding my head, I exited the living room, Finding Naomi before I proceeded to change my dress. The truth is, I felt embarrassed that I had to order someone to change my clothing and bathe me. But I didn't have a choice because it was Mrs. Heathers' orders.

"I'll take off your clothes, young mistress," Naomi informed me. And I just nodded, seeming to zone out. While a single thought occurred in my mind, I didn't seem to pray lately for the past ten weeks. I wondered, feeling odd that I'd forgotten my eighteen-year-old routine.

"What happened, young mistress? You seem to be off the top," Naomi asked worriedly. I sighed and shook my head, "Nothing, Naomi. I'm just having this feeling that I'm slowly changing into someone else that I'm not." I said honestly. Naomi's eyes flashed an unreadable expression. But she hid it professionally with a smile, "Oh, young mistress. You're just having a culture shock since the ethics here differ from those in Christians."

I partially agreed with Naomi. Maybe I'm just having a culture shock, and yes, the ethical standards here really differ from the things that I grew up with. I just hope that somebody will teach me to come up with these things.

After I changed my clothes and bathed, I walked through the dining room. Freshly fixed and presentable enough for Mrs. Heathers, she, too, seems to have fixed her. She looked radiant and glowing under the chandelier. Her eyes flickered when she saw me smiling warmly.

"Let's eat now, shall we?"

THE SECOND DAY OF SCHOOL didn't start out nicely. I woke up late, and a tremendous personal delay hindered my way through Mastema. The guidance counselor gave me a minor offense, which caused me to miss my first class, Math.

I grew nervous. When the guard at the front gate informed me that I had to proceed to the detention room, I was astonished and scared at the same time, wondering what a detention room looked like. "Pardon," I said to the guard. "But can you please tell me where the detention room is?" I asked shyly, blaming my ignorance for forgetting the most important thing in the house: my map. Fortunately, the guard didn't mind and carefully told me the directions, ensuring I'd catch up.