Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

9| The Devil's Wrath

CARTER

Stepping towards my office, I stilled when I heard loud voices coming from Faith's room. She was barking at someone in full anger and I couldn't help but feel pity for that person. But that didn't mean I wasn't glad it was someone else and not me.

"You are fired. Go pack your stuff," she said to that certain someone when I reached the door of her office. "Never show me your face again." Her voice boomed.

After a brief pause, a woman stepped out of her office that I guessed worked in finance. She had tears streaming out of her eyes uncontrollably and her nose was flushed red.

"Are you okay?" I said to her, but she ignored me and ran away with her heels making noise against the marbled floor.

Sighing, I entered the office and handed over the cup to her. "Your pumpkin spice latte exactly how you take it," I said.

"And where is the scone?" she asked.

"They were out of scones. I brought muffins." I passed the brown paper bag to her.

"I asked for scones, not some stupid muffins," she snarled, her nostrils flaring.

Looks like somebody is in a bad mood today.

"This is the closest thing to scone they had. I would have visited another bakery but you specifically asked for the Biscotti." I cleared my position.

"You are useless, Carter. Go do something fruitful and don't waste my time," she said.

Not wanting to have her burst on me, I left her office immediately and went to mine. Just when I started thinking that she wasn't that bad, she went out of her way to prove me otherwise. She was certainly the devil reincarnated and I had to keep this in mind.

I stayed in my office for the next few hours, working on some projects. In the lunch break, I left the office and went to the break room where a group of men and women were gathered around a round table.

I only knew Sasha among them. Noticing me, she motioned me to come sit with them. She made space for me and I seated myself in between her and a chubby guy.

"This is Carter, guys. He is one of the nice ones," Sasha introduced me.

"We know. He is the one who bears Faith for the rest of us." The guy sitting beside me chuckled as he punched my arm. I moved away from him awkwardly, rubbing where he had just punched me.

"Ssshhh, that bitch has her ears everywhere," another guy stated, and I felt uncomfortable hearing that. Yes, she wasn't an angel, but still, calling her a bitch was too much. She was the CEO and as our boss, she deserved some respect.

"I won't call her a bitch. I mean, she has her moments but—" I was speaking when I was interrupted by someone.

"Nathan is right. She is exactly a bitch. You guys know she fired Sarah today? Poor girl. She didn't even do anything." A woman spoke up this time.

"Exactly. Faith is a dictator and she thinks we are her slaves. Her last secretary thought the same, and so did the one before that," the guy whose name was Nathan said.

"Yeah, you don't have to kiss her ass in front of us. You can be honest. We don't snitch," the first guy told me.

"Um..." I gulped, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to badmouth her but I didn't want to ruin my rapport with my new colleagues either. So I used the diplomatic approach and said, "Well, do we really have to talk about her during lunch time?"

"Yeah, you are right. Let's change the topic, shall we? Did anyone watch that new show on Netflix?" Sasha said and now the topic of our conversation was shifted to seasons.