Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

7. For The Sake Of Memories

FAITH

Derek and I stood next to each other, observing the party around us. I had to admit, Carter went out of his way to make sure there was no mistake on his part. Not that I was going to tell him that. His big ego didn't need any more boasting.

"Everybody is dancing," Derek commented, staring at the corner where some couples were gathered. "Spare me a dance?" he said and extended his arm.

"For old time's sake." I nodded and put my hand on top of his. We moved to the dimly lit area with our one hands linked. He placed his other arm on the small of my waist, while our eyes locked together. Derek had a beautiful face; piercing grey eyes with skin that resembled melted caramel and sharp cheekbones. And the fact that he always smelled so good didn't help either.

We moved in synchronization with the rhythm of the music. The familiarity of his hold made my stomach flutter. It felt right but it was too late now. We were broken up for reasons that were still there. He might never accept this new me. He would always think I was something that needed to be mended, but I was never broken. I just changed.

"We were so good together," he said, showing me his pearly white smile.

"Hmm." I nodded and looked away from his perfect face. "Maybe we were just not meant to be."

"I don't think so. When I first met you, you perfectly fitted my life, like a missing piece of the puzzle. Then this company happened and," he took a brief pause. "The rest is history."

"You never understood how someone can change so drastically." I told him. "You always thought there was a fault in me, as if I was broken."

"I didn't." He moved me along himself.

"You did. You just don't want to admit it." I said.

He let out a deep sigh at this and rested his chin on my shoulder. I could feel a particular set of eyes on me but when I turned my head to my left, I just found Carter busy talking to Sasha.

"May you find someone who will love the new you unconditionally! Sorry I was unable to do that," he whispered.

"And may you find someone who will make you her first priority! Sorry that I couldn't be that person." I replied gently.

We danced together for some time, committing each other's scent to memory because there was a huge chance we would not be able to do it again. Four years and all for nothing. For me, it was a huge loss because I always thought we would be together forever. How I wished we could have found a way to work it out! 

We parted ways once the song finished and I made my way to my assistant who was busy gossiping and eating. Sasha slowly walked away when she noticed me coming and Carter also stilled in his position.

"You did good today," I said and he shrugged with a smirk. "As good as I can expect from you," I added.

"You just had to add the last line," he muttered slowly.

"Keeps you grounded," I said and asked him to hand me the chicken wings plate. 

"I'm already grounded. That's why I'm working for you. Otherwise I have a multimillion empire waiting for me." He grinned.

"You aren't doing me a favour." I reminded him as I took a bite of the wing.

"On the contrary—"

"Stop talking and go check if anybody needs anything." I ordered, stopping him mid-sentence.

From his face, it looked like he wanted to give me a snide response but he kept his mouth shut. Once he was out of my sight, I put the plate on an empty table and made my way to our investors.