Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

6. Of Zips And Appetizers

CARTER

I was giving one last look to the guest list when my eyes landed on the man putting the huge flower vase near the entrance of the penthouse. Leaving the notebook on the table, I rushed towards him and said, "Do you want to get me killed? Faith specifically wanted white orchids. These are purple."

"We couldn't find the white ones in the flower shop," the man whose name I didn't know replied.

"Then go search every other flower shop in the city. God, do people not have common sense these days?" I said frantically. 

"Hey, don't freak out. It will be fine." I heard Sasha's voice as she reached my side. She volunteered to help me keep a check on the arrangements for the gala. We had been in Faith's house since 12pm and it was 5 in the evening now. The guests would start arriving in no time and there were still many things to do.

"How can I not freak out?" I asked, pulling out the to-do list from my pocket.

"Like this." Sasha shrugged carefully and a brief smile appeared on my lips.

"I wish it was that easy," I said and then assessed her from head to toe. She had changed out of her work outfit into a light pink gown. I had to admit, she looked really pretty and the pink colour suited her warm and bubbly personality. "When did you get ready?" I asked.

"When you were having a meltdown in front of the caterers." She grinned. "You should change as well. Did you bring something to wear?

"Yeah, there is a suit in my car. But what about—"

"Go, change. I will deal with your list," she said, extending her hand so I could hand the list over to her.

Nodding, I rushed to the parking lot of the building to get my suit and then once again reached the penthouse through the elevator. The housekeeper led me to the guest room where I quickly changed and combed my hair. Once satisfied with my appearance, I walked out of the room and checked the preparations for one last time.

The whole penthouse was minimally decorated in a black and gold theme. A golden chandelier was hung in the middle of the lounge, catching most of the attention. The back door opened into the swimming pool area, which was also meticulously cleaned and decorated for the guests.

"Should I go check on Miss Becker?" I went to Sasha for advice because I wasn't going to unnecessarily poke the bear.

"Yeah, I guess," she said, counting the appetizers.

"Wish me luck," I said and then made my way to the hallway to my left that led straight to her bedroom. I knocked on the door and it slid open. Gulping, I peeked my head through the door and said, "Everything is rea—"

The sight inside the room forced me to stop talking mid-sentence. Faith had her bare back towards me while her arched hand tried to zip up the dress. "Shit. Sorry," I said and turned my widened eyes away hurriedly.

"What are you doing here?" she asked in her signature annoyed voice.

"I just came to inform you that all the preparations are done. I'll leave now," I said, keeping my eyes off her.

While I was closing the door, I heard her voice. "Wait. I need you to zip up this dress."

"What?" I asked, not sure if I heard correctly.

"Do you expect me to stand here all day, trying to zip it up?" She grunted. "Get in."

"Um... okay." I said and entered inside, closing the door behind me.

She had her face towards the mirror, her styled hair gathered on her right shoulder. The dress she was wearing was a spaghetti strap, royal blue sequin gown that was cinched at the waist and then flowed down to her ankle. The bodice of the dress was almost like a second skin; that explained why it was difficult to zip up.