Chapter 1: Brussels

Start from the beginning

"What time is it?" (Y/n) checked her clock, yawning.

It was already close to 10 A.M. She remembered she had to work at the diner. Standing immediately (and almost falling from the sleep still in her), (Y/n) (L/n) pulled her hair back in an updo and left promptly.

Strangely, two dark figures watched her from the street corner. They kept a close distance from her while doing their best to keep a low profile. A radio was held by their side to update their progress continuously.

The girl walked down the block until she found the small diner she worked at and entered the back door. She hurried and changed into her waitressing outfit as fast as she could and stepped into the front. They were a bit busy today, so she pursed her lips and tried to prepare herself for a long day.

(Y/n) hated her job. In fact, she might've even loathed it will all of her being- okay that's an exaggeration. But (Y/n) deemed it the most dull job as a waitress ever. And she didn't hate it because of her duties, no, it was her boss. He was uptight and blunt, and the assitant manager was no better who fed off of his miserable personality.

What didn't help was how he never let her have time off in regards to her Uncle Isaac. He was the only family (Y/n) had, but he lived far away so they had to write to each other to communicate. He had offered her a plane ticket more than once, but her work wouldn't let her have the free time and her uncle couldn't come over himself. One day, (Y/n) thought, she'd convince her boss to allow her. Uncle Isaac was like a father to her.

Taking up a notepad and tying on an apron, (Y/n) walked to the first table she saw and gave the best smile she could.

"(Y/n)! Get over here!" called the assistant manager.

She frowned.

"Excuse me," she told the customers, walking up to the assistant manager. "Did you need me?"

"Diner's gonna need extra hands cleaning. Your shift is extened," said the woman bluntly, walking in the back.

"Wait, though, I-"

"You want the boss to give you some time off, huh? Then put in some more effort. Get on his good side, maybe he'll say yes next time."

(Y/n) scowled before going back to dining. She always was nice to the customers no matter what and that gave her some extra tip money. Her high salary was because of her hard work, and so her boss favored her the most- not enough to give her days off, though. When the day was over, (Y/n) changed back into her old clothes and headed home in the winter cold.

"Greetings, Miss," greeted the mailman as she stepped to her apartment complex. He always liked to take the time to bring the girl's letters to her personally because they were greatly acquainted. "Your Uncle sent you a letter today!"

(Y/n) took the letters from him and scanned each one.

"Aha- finally! Thank you, sir!" she told the mailman.

He tipped his hat with a big smile.

"Good seeing you, Miss!" he bid, heading off.

(Y/n) smiled and went inside, walking towards her room and opening the letter. That day, her uncle sent her two delicate rings as gifts, each unique in design and either made of pure gold or silver with encrested jewels. (Y/n) slid them on her dominate hand with a grin and walked to her room.

Placing the rest of the mail and envelope on her desk, she lay on her bed to read the letter. It was odd, she thought, that her uncle always seemed to stamp an unusual symbol beside his name. It was a unicorn, holding a harp and wearing crown with French words on the bottom of it, which read, 'God and my right.' (Yes, she knew French. It was her uncle's first language so he had taught it to her over the years.)