Chapter 14: Bittersweet

(Your POV)

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me past all the buildings of the private island and up to the helicopter by the dock. When I saw the passenger, I gasped in shock; it was my Uncle, just as Tintin and Captain Haddock had said. I dashed up to my relative and embraced him tenderly.

"Uncle Isaac- Uncle Isaac!" I cried, grinning with an illuminating glow.

"Yes- I've missed you too! Now hurry, we must leave!" he told me, patting my back and gesturing for us to get in.

We heard inaudible voices coming towards us. More than likely, it was criminals coming to see the commotion. I hopped in the copter without hesitation, and my two adventurer friends followed. The helicopter flew away from the harbor, and I couldn't contain the relief that I felt from escaping and finally seeing my uncle after forever.

We shut the glass doors, blocking the light rain and distant thunderclaps from outside. I gazed back one last time at the terrible island as it disappeared in the fog before relaxing in perfect safety. The Captain sat between Tintin and me. Our pilot and Uncle Isaac conversed for a while as we in the back remained quiet.

My uncle spun to face us with a concerned look in his eyes.

"For good grief sake, Is everyone alright??" he asked with the same comforting, upper-crust accent I remembered him having.

He was a little older than the Captain and looked exactly as I recalled: a sophisticated, silver-haired, older gentleman with a top hat, fancy attire, and a monocle. His beard was short but came to a sharp end, and his mustache ends were thick and pointy, just like his pictures.

"Thanks to you, we are," replied Tintin. "We can't thank you enough, sir!"

"Indeed. After all, you aren't the only one who knows a cop or two. Now let me introduce myself: my name is Isaac Finn, (Y/n)'s uncle," spoke my Uncle.

"Tintin. And this is Captain Haddock," greeted Tintin.

"Ah- yes-yes, I know all about you, Mr. Reporter. Not only are you a well-known writer, but also the man who rescued my niece. And for that, I am indebted to you..." Uncle Isaac gestured towards the pilot. "And this is my associate, Kadron Ace Wilder!"

The pilot looked up in the mirror solemnly but raised his brow knowingly at me since we met already at the apartment.

"Kadron has been doing some... undercover work around the districts lately so he may be known in other places as more than just my assistant. However, he is quite the best pilot I've ever encountered so far, and true to that so you may remember him as such."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Wilder," Tintin greeted. "I'm actually something of a pilot myself, when needed."

Haddock scoffed with humor and I couldn't tell if that was a joke or if he just thought Tintin was bad at flying.

Kadron responded with a silent finger salute, which my uncle shook his head at.

"Never really were one to talk much..." he said. "Besides friends- but anyway-!"

Snowy grew a little weird with Kadron, growling slightly at him with a woof. I frowned at him, wondering why he didn't seem to like him.

"The machine was destroyed before I could send the signal out with our location," Tintin started. "How did you-"

"Actually, we received your signal on our radio," Uncle said, referring to the device embedded above the controls. "So I'd say you were right on time!"

"What about Ms. Finch and the Professor?" I asked.