Chapter 10: Egoist

(Your POV)

It wasn't long before we made it back to Brussels. I bit my lip worriedly, not able to think about anything besides the danger we had just encountered with the creep at the lab. I frowned and furrowed my brows sadly, hoping with all my heart that he didn't hurt the Professor Tintin is friends with. It'd break my heart.

To feel more comfortable, I chose to keep my hands on Tintin's shoulders the whole ride. However, there were a few bumps along the way that made it difficult not to fall. But I was stubborn.

After the ride, we parked by the police station and ran in.

"We have an emergency!" Tintin exclaimed as he jogged ahead of me.

"What is it, son?" asked the officer behind the desk, recognizing the famous reporter.

"There is an armed man at the Marlinspike Hall outside of town! He tried killing us, but we escaped! He needs to be arrested immediately!" Tintin said.

The officer didn't dally, standing from his seat and making orders.

"Alright! Gather your men! To the Marlinspike estate, quickly!"

Officers flooded from the station and zoomed away with motorbikes or police cars to find the man. Sirens blared, citizens made way for the authorities. Tintin and I watched them leave before he sat back down on the motorcycle once more.

I stepped closer, watching him put the helmet on.

"What now?"

"I'm going with them to investigate. You stay here at the police station until I come back. You'll be safer here!" Tintin answered.

"But-"

"Mr. Tintin!" the same officer called. "I forgot to mention; your landlady called us while you were gone."

Tintin paused.

"Ms. Finch?"

"Indeed. Some prowlers were spotted cutting the telephone cables connected to the building! I've sent a couple of men there to check the damage! Perhaps you'd like to check on their progress?"

Tintin thought about it for a moment, then steadied the motorcycle as he started it up.

"Alright, I'll go see-"

"Wait! Let me come!" I cried, stepping up to him and grabbing his forearm so he wouldn't leave.

"No, you need to stay here. I believe you're safety is one of my responsiblities as of now, and whoever is behind this wants to make sure your case stays unsolved!"

"Exactly. My case!" I answered with sass, letting him go and crossing my arms stubbornly. "I need to see and know everything going on so I can freaking get a grasp as to why I'm here! Besides, Ms. Finch is not just your landlady; she's mine too! Those jerks aren't going down without a fight!"

Tintin stared at me silently. I lifted a brow at him as I waited for his answer. It took some time, but he removed his helmet.
"Very well, you win. Get on."

I smiled and sat behind him, scowling as he shoved the stupid helmet over my face.

×Time Skip×

"Thank you for checking on me, Mr. Tintin. But it's nothing to worry about, just a few wires cut," said Ms. Finch

Tintin stood outside talking to her while I did my own little investigating. The officers let me stand by and watch as they analyzed the damage down at the back of the apartment complex. I tilted my head to study the precisely cut wires and the metal box on the ground. I bent down and picked it up. Flipping it over, I noticed the metal dome and understood that it was an alarm. It had been ripped from its place.