-thirty-

Four leads the initiates through the Dauntless compound, Annabelle walks behind Christina, Will and Tris, the latter two holding each other for supports as they climb higher up the walls of the pit than they ever had before. Annabelle looks down for the first time, the distance from her and the ground exciting her. She'd never been scared of heights, unlike Tobias.

Annabelle looked up to see him walking backwards on the narrow path, the lack of railings seemingly not a worry to him. Anna couldn't help but wonder if he was actually terrified, if his fear lay just beneath the surface, eager to rise and show itself. She didn't blame him for acting though. If he seemed vulnerable to the transfers in front of him, would they ever take him seriously again?

"Pick up the pace Drew!" Four yelled, the boy lacking behind due to his beaten state.

Anna looked behind her to see him, every step he took looked painful, but Anna didn't pity him, she didn't sympathise with him. He got what he deserved. Annabelle smiled at the sight and turned back around, she probably should've felt guilty - but she couldn't. He'd hurt her friend and she was thankful to whoever the hell beat Drew up because if it wasn't for them, she would've done it herself.

Four eventually finished leading them and they were in a room with graffitied walls and exposed pipes.

"This is where you'll be doing a more intense version of your fear simulation. Over time, we have stored data about your worst fears. This fear landscape has access to that and presents you with a series of obstacles. Some will be the fears you previously faced. Some may be new fears. The difference is, you are aware.

"Next week you will go through your fear landscape as quickly as possible in front of a panel of Dauntless leaders. This will be your final test, understood?" Every one nodded.

Annabelle shivered, she didn't want to face her fears in front of people who were literally there just to judge what she was doing. She didn't want them seeing her fears, questioning her about them. However, Annabelle knew she had a good chance of making it in the top ten and becoming an official member of Dauntless - she knew she could finally be where she belonged.

"Like before, you can get past each obstacle in one of two ways. Either you can calm down enough that the simulation registers a normal heartbeat, or you can find a way to face your fear. For example, if there's something you can't stop, just let it happen," He said, making direct eye contact with Annabelle, who bit her lip nervously in response. She didn't know if she would ever be able to do that. To sit back and let it happen, not again, not as she did 2 years ago - she had to figure out a way to face it.

"So I suggest that you take the next week to consider your fears and develop strategies to face them,"

"That doesn't sound fair," The loud voice of Peter butted in, causing Annabelle to roll her eyes. "What if one person only has seven fears and someone else has twenty? That's not their fault."

Four laughs, "Do you really want to talk to me about what's fair?" He slowly walks toward Peter, with his arms crossed across his chest. An aura of intimidation surrounding him as he spoke, "I understand why you're worried Peter. The events of last night certainly proved you're a miserable coward.

"So now we all know, that you are afraid of a short, skinny girl from Abnegation."

Annabelle covers her mouth with her hand to suppress her laughter as Christina grabs on to her trying to do that same thing. Annabelle even saw Tris smile.

Peter's head jolted towards Annabelle, as if he had known her reaction, as if he had recognised the short sound she made before laughing into her hands. Her gaze immediately hardened when she looked away from Tris to see Peter looking at her. He only stared not saying anything to the Abnegation transfer he thought he was cracking. When Anna only rolled her eyes at his yearning expression, he knew. Peter knew that whatever 'friendship' they may have formed from their snarky comments and banter was gone now.