Chapter 13: Running A Few Errands

Zeki sat in the interrogation room wearing a t-shirt and pants provided by the correctional facility. He sat there thinking how he could easily escape from the place. He could disconnect the camera, uncuff himself from the table, knock out the guards who would have noticed the broken camera and then take one of their uniforms. If he did that he would have exposed himself as a telekinetic and there was a chance that the Organization had its members in the police force.

        Geller appeared about five minutes later carrying a manila folder and an evidence bag. She gingerly sat down in the chair opposite Zeki and silently pulled out six images from the folder and placed them in front of him. "You don't deny that these are your doings?"

        Zeki looked at each of the six images. Two belonged to the Chryslers, two belonged to the men killed behind the subway station, and one each was from the school shooter and Chinatown respectively. "You caught me red handed with the Chryslers, and I won't deny that I stabbed two of those men from the subway station. That was in self defense. As for the others, Chinatown, the others behind the subway station, the school, you can't prove that I'm responsible for those."

        "I can, however, place you at the school shooting." Geller placed the evidence bag on the table. "My nephew goes to the same school and he and others gave quite the detailed description of you. You may not have a thick beard as you did back then but your hair colour and your eyes match their statements. That laptop adapter there," she pointed at the evidence bag, "was found around the victim's neck. He had gloves on while you did not. We've matched the prints on that to the ones found on the knife found in the limo. While we're not able to identify you we know where you've been."

        Zeki sat face forward and stared at Geller showing no emotion.

        Geller reached into her pocket and pulled out a remote for the camera. She pressed the button to turn off the microphone and as well as change the angle so that it was not focused on their faces. "I know how you killed the others, the ones without any knife markings one them. You somehow were able to choke them or gave them heart attacks when they were perfectly healthy or carried no trace of someone causing their deaths."

        "How do you know they did not kill themselves?"

        Geller removed her glasses and started at Zeki. "It's the same way my wife was killed. You, her, you both have some special power that causes trouble."

        Zeki sat silently. Geller's statement did bother him a bit but he chose not to react.

        Geller reached into her other pocket and pullet out her wallet. Inside her wallet was a photo of her and her wife on their wedding day. She held the photo up to Zeki and explained, "My wife, Liz, could move objects with her mind as well as cause people to have migraines with that very same power. She never told me until the day she escaped from a fight with another one like her, a telekinetic whom she met on the street. She came home one night feeling that someone is after her and that she has to kill that person. I at first thought she was just shaken up but weeks passed and she still had the urge to find that same person, saying that the feeling won't go away until he was dead. One day someone broke into our apartment when I was at work. I came home to find that Liz had blood coming out of her ears. She was killed by another like her. I've been trying to find her killer until you showed up. The way some of those people you killed, was just like the way my Liz was killed."

            Zeki looked down and did not say anything for thirty seconds. When the time passed he spoke, "I didn't kill your wife. I never saw her."

            Geller slammed the table, "Bullshit! I know it's you. You have every opportunity to escape, kill me even and you just sit there as if nothing is going on. It's like you're constantly trapped in that state where it's just you and the other like you and nothing else."