Chapter 8: Sidekick

November

Zeki was able to kill Selena but at a cost. He injured his shoulder and had to take a few days off from completing contracts. At the same time he was in negotiations with his employer in terms of taking more time off.

            "So you see I've had some personal issues that would interfere with me continuing my job and if I could have more time off I could sort them out."

            "The time we gave you to heal your shoulder is not enough for you?" The person at the other end of the line asked. "You're the best hitman we've hired. You've always done everything we asked you to do. Is this related to the time you were in France?"

            "No, sir, this does not have anything to do with France," Zeki explained. "It's personal because it has to with my family. My father dealt with some organized criminals and they probably want to get back at him through me." In reality Zeki's father was actually a police officer and he died when Zeki was fourteen.

            "If it's another crime family we can handle it," the boss said. "You just rest up that shoulder of yours and report back once you're fit for your next assignment."

            Zeki hung up the moment he heard a dial tone. Since he had not eaten anything for dinner and was not in the mood for eating out he decided to search his pantry for whatever was in there as well as his fridge for any leftover food. All he could find was bread that was about to get mouldy and some halva that's been in the fridge for who knew how long. There were also bananas that were black enough to make banana bread. Not having any choice he took the halva and poured himself some shot glasses of vodka and a glass of raki. Just as he was about to eat the halva and drink the raki his phone rang. He ignored it at first but the phone would not stop ringing. He finally gave in and answered it only to hear a voice he did not want to hear.

            "Are you heading out to bonfire night?"

            "What do you want now, Sylvan?" Zeki groaned as he placed the plate of halva on the counter.

            "Oh, nothing in particular. I just wondered if you were heading out to celebrate bonfire night. It's an activity I loved doing in my youth. Setting up a bonfire, watching the fireworks gracing the sky with their magnificent colours, the smell of burning wood... you missed out on a lot."

            "I've had my share of bonfires and fireworks, why is this of any importance?"

            "I must've forgotten you're not British. The bonfires and fireworks are in celebration of Guy Fawkes. He and others tried to blow up the British parliament."

            "Then why don't I hear fireworks in the background?" Then it all clicked for Zeki. Sylvan was trying to find out his location by tracing his phone off of nearby cell towers. He immediately hung up the phone but only for it to ring again. Zeki answered it and screamed, "What the fuck do you want?! Leave me alone!"

            "Sorry to have dragged on like that," Sylvan said calmly. "We do understand the torment you must go through every day since you left. We can end your inner turmoil."

            "There is no way you can end it. You're sick if you can use other like me to do your dirty work." He hung up on Sylvan and clenched his fists. The plates and glasses as well as the cabinet doors rattle as he expressed his anger through screaming and yelling. He did not care if the neighbours heard him. He had to let out his frustrations. He looked at the glasses once filled with hard liquor that have spilled onto the counter and floor. The bottle of raki, however, was still intact and he decided to drink out of there instead. After finishing whatever was left in the bottle he headed straight to bed.