Chapter 7: Lockdown

Zeki was not much of a cook and often ate out somewhere in the city. While he consumed a shawarma platter at a Lebanese restaurant he browsed the internet for activity involving the Organization. A couple of news reports of kidnappings and killings of children between the ages of twelve to sixteen stood out for him but those stories dealt with children that went missing four to five years ago. As he continued browsing his phone chimed indicating he got a new e-mail message. He opened the message and it came with an attachment and the following message:

Your target is going on a national tour at select high schools. Better prepare yourself to attend one of these dates.

He opened the attachment and made the text bigger, focusing on the dates and the locations. One location stood out for him as it was in the same city. There was also another thing about the location that stood out for him and that it was the high school Jessica attended. He remember the name St. James the Lesser from the inside cover of her copy of The Chrysalids.

            Zeki wanted to track his target from the other locations but those appearances have already passed or required travel south of the border. His passport was in the process of being renewed but his employer's passport forger was in Albania attending his grandfather's funeral. Given the circumstances he was forced to take out his target right here in the city and had until the time the target left after their last appearance. Since Jessica also attended the same school he was risking being identified by her. 

            'There could be a chance that she might not show up that day or not come into contact with me,' he thought has he finished his plate. He closed the mail application and opened up the calendar application. He selected October 28 on the calendar, added an event to it and typed: KILL SERENA LYLE.

---

Jessica and Chris ate their lunch in the hallway next to Chris's locker. As they finished eating Chris brought up his plans for Halloween as it was approaching fast.

            "I know our last movie marathon was a bust because of having family over at the same time but I promise you this one will be better," Chris said as the both of them stood up. "I'll be playing a bunch of films, all featuring people using superpowers like Akira, Carrie, The Fury, and Chronicle."

            "What's The Fury about again? Isn't that supposed to be some western?" Jessica asked as she shoved her Tupperware container into her messenger bag.

        "It's an old film from the seventies featuring some government organization kidnapping someone's kid because he had telekinetic powers. It's right up your alley in terms of interest."

            "That would be wonderful, Chris, but unfortunately I can't make it this weekend."

            "Oh why's that?" He asked as he pulled out his books for his philosophy and biology classes.

            "I'm attending a costume party at church. Linda entered in a costume contest in which the top prize is tickets to some post-hardcore, Christian band she likes along with a large bag of candy and an iTunes gift card of one hundred dollars. What's even worse is she's making us dress as Elsa and Anna from Frozen and I'm made to dress as Anna. I'm the older sister, I should be Elsa."

            Chris whistled in amazement. "What band are the tickets for?"

            "The Needless. They're not the greatest band out there but Linda and I have negotiated that I take a share of the candy and the gift card."

            "Yeah, I wouldn't enter the contest either for free tickets to see them but wouldn't mind the candy and the gift card."

            The five minute warning bell went off. Chris closed his locker and said, "I'll see you in bio."