Chapter 11: Rendezvous

December

"Armen Chrysler? You're not being serious, right?" Zeki's employer asked over the phone while Zeki searched news articles featuring the local celebrity.

            "I just want to know if he's on the list or not," Zeki replied. "We all know these celebrity people are hiding something."

            "It sound like this guy bothered you somehow. Did he scratch your face while you're trying to take a selfie?"

            "Very funny, Enver," Zeki replied irked by his employer's sarcasm. He clicked on a news article on Armen Chrysler and an announcement to fund a renovation project to the performing arts hall.

            "I do admit our list of targets and former business partners is running low. Mostly we need our people to instill fear into them and business for us has been running smoothly. With your recent work our affiliates and those who seek our services have been paying on time."

            "Glad to be of service. Is Armen on the list?"

            "Let me check," Enver answered. There was a brief silence as he searched and Zeki waited. "Armen has had some dealings with our associates in Germany but nothing would make him a target. The records show that he ate at an affiliated restaurant but that's just it."

            "Oh," Zeki said with disappointment.

            "You've been asking for some time off, haven't you, Zeki? Maybe you can use this dry spell to take it."

            "Yeah, I guess I could," Zeki said as he turned off his computer.

            "We'll be keeping in touch," Zeki's boss said before he hung up.

            Zeki hung up his phone as well. He picked up the program for the concert series off the top of his computer monitor. He turned to the inside cover and looked at the schedule. The next concert in the series was on Friday and he had a few days to prepare. "Maybe I could take advantage of this time off," Zeki uttered to himself as he placed the program back onto the top of the monitor. He looked at the clock of his phone and it displayed 3:45. Zeki decided to get some sleep but just before he could head into his bedroom and go to bed his phone rang. At first he thought his employer had something more to say when he answered but the voice on the other end did not belong to Enver or anyone he worked with.

            "I should have asked this earlier but did you enjoy the concert?" Sylvan asked. "I thought that girl played the piano quite beautifully."

            Zeki did not bother to answer. He hung up and turned off his phone. 'I need a new SIM card,' he thought as he put the phone down and headed off to bed.

---

 Just as Jessica was about to eat her lunch in the cafeteria she received a text from Zeki instructing her to meet at the nearby shopping area. Jessica was not looking forward to leaving the warmth of her school during her spare period but there were people at school who have seen Zeki before. After finishing her lunch she put on her winter jacket and mitts and headed to the wooded area that separated her school from a shopping area. She immediately spotted Zeki who was wearing a blue BENCH winter jacket and a green and black laplander hat.

            "This better not take long," Jessica said while rubbing her arms. "I have to be back in time for biology class to do a lab."

            "I'm going after Armen Chrysler on Friday and I need you to be there when I make my getaway," Zeki bluntly explained his plan.