Chapter 19: The Puck Does Not Stop Here

Two days passed since Jessica helped in Chris's rescue and Jessica saw no sign of Zeki. The bungalow he lived in was sold to the land developer. She saw Drita and Genti and some other people clear out the house but did not bother to talk to them. She wanted to but her parents have been monitoring her whereabouts after giving them a scare. The most she did was wave at Drita who in return waved backed at her. 'If Drita and Genti are alive maybe Zeki is too,' she thought but she also thought that maybe Drita and Genti were the only ones to make it out.

        Chris went to the Philippines with his family as scheduled. His parents could have cancelled their trip to allow him to recover but he insisted on going for a change of scenery as well as he knew places where he could get away from the relatives for some time to process what happened to him.

        Jessica's family also had plans on visiting family in Vancouver. Jessica along with Linda did not get along well with the family in Vancouver as they were often compared to their kids and neither of them had the guts to say that their Aunt Vivian is being mean. Unlike Chris's family trip which was for both Christmas and New Year's Jessica's was mainly for Christmas and some Boxing Day shopping. Upon arriving home she began working off her punishment. She was not allowed to leave the house unless she was working on a school project with another student. She had her laptop taken away and her cell phone restricted to calls and texts. Lastly she was only allowed to watch TV if someone else was watching and luckily for her she does share interest in a cartoon show with her brother Nick.

        Jessica was allowed to use the family computer to do her schoolwork. Her parents were well aware that she was working on a biology presentation with Chris. She mainly communicated with him through e-mail for most of the break as both of them had trouble finding a time to have a video chat. They did, however, find the time on New Year's Eve.

        "So, are you gonna tell them?" Jessica asked Chris while taking a break from working on their presentation.

        "Tell them what? Their only living son's an Atheist?"

        "Besides that."

        "About my powers? You do recall what I told you about Ray and what happened to him."

        "You have to tell your mom and dad someday. Probably one that would have less of an emotional impact."

        "I tell them I do not believe in the existence of some deity and they'll think I'm just angry. I mean I have been dropping hints ever since Ray left. I tell them I'm a telekinetic and they'll think I'm practising witchcraft."

        "Unlike Ray which was their first time seeing it you explaining it to them might change their views," Jessica suggested. "Just don't expect to be Jesus greeted at His second coming."

        Chris laughed and shook his head after hearing Jessica's statement. He got up from his chair and said, "Oh! By the way I have been learning some new tricks. Let me show you!" He removed his headset and went to pick up a basketball that was underneath the table. He first spun the ball on his left middle and index fingers and once the ball was spinning continuously he lowered his left hand and the ball continued to spin while floating in mid air.

        "That's amazing," Jessica complemented.

        "But wait, there's more!" The spinning ball orbited around Chris in a circular motion at first but then he made it go around him in an elliptical motion. Once he was done showing off his trick he grabbed the ball from right in front of him. He returned to the computer and placed the ball back underneath the table and the headset over his ears.