Chapter Nine

One single yelp, that's all I could hear echoing around me. I feel weightless, like gravity isn't in my vocabulary anymore.

'Is this what dying feels like?' I ask myself... 'Wait! I see the light!'

"Willow," a voice calls out to me.

I go move closer to touch the light, when suddenly something comes in contact with my hand.

"Owww! Willow, are you awake yet?" That same voice asks.

I slowly open my eyes only to be met by the stormy grey eyes that I've grown accustomed to.

"Shawn? Am I dead? Were you my guardian angel or something?" I wonder out loud.

And Shawn just bursts out laughing, like a full on laugh!

"Ahhhh, Willow," he looks at me and starts laughing all over again.

'I guess we're waiting this out.' My conscience groans.

After Shawn calms down, he finally decides to answer, "You just fainted! You're such a theater kid."

"Then I guess the class was worth it," I mutter, and Shawn just bursts out laughing... Again.

"Oh," he wheezes, "My," he breaths, "God!" He wipes away a tear.

"What?" I look at him strangely.

"Are you really not going to ask how long you were out for, what happened, or any other normal questions?" He looks at me, while trying not to burst out laughing... Again...

"Well I know I fell out of a tree, and I'm alive. And I was getting to those questions." I fib.

"Yeah, suuuuure." He looks at me with a look that shouts, 'really?'

"So, aren't you going to tell me?" I ask him.

"Of course! You already know the basics. You fell out of a tree, I caught you, you passed out while falling, you were out for seven minutes, and you're not dead." He ends off obviously.

"Thanks Captain Obvious," I sarcastically remark to the last part, "But hey, seven minutes isn't that bad." I nod to myself.

"For you. You were in la-la land and I was having a panic attack!" Shawn counters.

"Awwww! Shawney you really do care, huh?" I question with an expression that is filled with awe.

"Yes, believe it or not I really do care about you!" He exclaims.

I have no words, this is the first time some actually cares, other than my parents.

"Sooooooo, about that gelato," I awkwardly change the subject.

Shawn chuckles at my awkwardness and replies, "Yeah, we can leave right now."

"Great! Now off we gooooo!" I shout, running to his car.

***********************************************************************************************

"Come on!" I urge Shawn to move faster so we can get into the shop.

"It's not like the gelato shop is going anywhere." Shawn groans.

"Yes it is!" I childishly muse.

"You are something else Willow," Shawn says and heads inside the shop.

I run up to him as we enter the gelato place, "Hey wait up!"

"Slow poke!" He sticks out his tongue.

I choose to ignore his childish antics, "What are you getting," I inquire.

"Not sure, I'll probably tell the cashier to pick a flavor." He shrugs.

"What if she picks a gross one?" I bring up a valid point.

"You know what? I'm going to let you pick my gelato instead." He grins.

"But what if I pick a gross flavor for you?" Right as I finish asking that question, Shawn glares at me.

"Don't you dare!" He scolds me, "If you do I'll- I'll- I don't know what I'd do," he finishes off, his voice coated with uncertainty.

"Okay, I'll try to pick a good one. Any allergies I should know of?" I pretend to write this in an invisible notepad.

"Nope," he pops the 'P' at the end.

"Great! So I'm free to pick almost any flavor!" I look at him, just to make sure he's okay with this.

"Yup, go wild." Shawn holds open the door.

'Well, I don't need to be told twice!' I think to myself, and I run in the door.

"Hi there! How can I help you?" A little boy, maybe eight or nine, is at the counter asking us this question.

"Hi there buddy! Do you work here?" I smile at him gently.

"Yes ma'am! My name is Wyatt, and my mom owns this shop. Passed down to her from my grandfather." Wyatt explains while moving his hands around.

"Wow that's so cool!" Shawn jumps in before I can get a single word in.

"I know right," Wyatt replies full of energy.

"Where's your mom now?" I look around the gelato place.

"She's off at the store but I can help you! I've been doing this ever since I was six." He reveals flashing us a huge smile.

"Oh wow! Well then, I'll take the mint chocolate chip and chocolate brownie." I order.

"Cone or cup?" He holds both up.

"Cone please! And Shawn is going to take the tiramisu flavor and the vanilla chocolate chip gelato in a cone." I order for Shawn and he looks pleased... "Please!" I add in remembering my manners.

"Of course, any toppings?" He gestures to the topping bar.

"Ummm, marshmallow and caramel syrup on whatever sides you'd like, marshmallows, cookie dough, and whipped cream please." I list of, and Wyatt is avidly listening and writing all this down in a little notepad.

As you can probably tell, I have a huuuuuuuge sweet tooth!

"Okay." He then puts some toppings on the bottom while alternating the gelato and the toppings.

"Here you go, and your total will be $10 exactly." Wyatt holds out his hand.

I reach into my back pocket (where I keep my wallet), and it isn't there.

But before I can even react, Shawn is paying, "Here you go." He hands little Wyatt a twenty dollar bill, "Keep the change, think of it as an allowance from me."

"Wow! A whole ten dollars?!" Wyatt gapes in disbelief.

"Yes Wyatt!" Shawn laughs.

"Thank you so much!" Wyatt grins.

"No, thank you!" Shawn and I reply insync.

"Why are you thanking me?" He questions cluelessly.

"For making us this gelato! By the way, I love your technique!" I compliment him.

Wyatt blushes and says, "Thank you, have a good rest of your day!" He waves us off.

"Bye!" Shawn and I wave and go out the door.

"Awwwww! He was the cutest little dude!" I grin.

"He was! Now, I have some questions for you." He looks nervous.

"Don't be nervous! What's your question?" I encourage him to go on.

"What happened to your dad?" Shawn asks, looking me dead set in my eyes.

"Ummmm... Well... Erm..." I drawl off, "Okay fine, let's start from the beginning..."

Well we already know a bit of what happened to her dad from the beginning but there's more! How are you guys liking this story so far? Leave comments if you want but they really mean a lot when I see the notification and actual comment. It warms my heart to hear from people who are reading this book!

Vote, Comment, Share, and Follow if you'd like!

Love you guys,
Goldie