Chapter Eighty Four

"I've got to go for a week" I explained in between mouthfuls of chicken, my mum looking at me with bewilderment, "it's like - like work experience. Madam Pomfrey got me a placement at St Mungos and I have to go"
"Is it paid?" My dad asked, leaning back in his chair, before smiling, "Of course you can go, it's nice to see you actually doing something for your future for once!"
I bit back a snide remark, instead plastering on a grateful smile, "Thanks dad"
The conversation immediately turned back to Hermione, leaving me to eat my dinner with resigned acceptance.
"So, Hermione you got all top scores in your mocks-"

"Herman, can I talk to you quickly?" I called, catching her just before she walked into her bedroom.
"Sure"
As she came in, closing the door behind her, eyes immediately drawn to the mess of parchment laid out on my bed.
"What's this?"
I sighed, running my hand through my hair, "Look, if Harry's right and that freak is back then we need to start being more proactive. After the chamber..." I trailed off, Hermione getting my point and picking up the nearest parchment.
"These are all high level practical spells" she said, looking up at me questioningly.
"I just wrote down all the ones that I could. I'm thinking, if we can scan through these before we go to the Weasley's, we can find some spells that might just save our asses"
"I can't practice magic at home"
"I can - besides, we'll have all of next year at school. We can go to the library once a week, or a classroom to practice the spells"
"Preparation" she stated, "You thinking this is going to turn into a war?"

 We can go to the library once a week, or a classroom to practice the spells""Preparation" she stated, "You thinking this is going to turn into a war?"

"There's always been a war going on, H. Yeah, it may not have been this big but it's still there. We can see it every time a pure blood idiot calls us 'mudblood', like they really believe that we're nothing less than dirt on the sole of their boots" I explained, "it's no different than racism in our world. None at all. It's all the same bullshit. It's just that now? Now the person calling us those names has an army, and they're not going to stop until we're gone"
"So we can either sit here and accept it..." she trailed off, looking at me.
"Or get stronger and fight back"
Hermione sat down for a moment, looking at the floor with despondent acceptance, "We're going to need to help Harry in every way we can"
"I find it very hard to believe that there won't be some kind of resistance forming over the next few weeks. If I know anything, Harry is going to end up in the middle of it"
"History repeating itself"
A silence settled over the room, only the faint shuffling of papers filtering through the white noise.
"You've thought of this a lot" she eventually said, placing the list back into the pile, "You really think we'll need all of this?"
I nodded, "Better safe than sorry - besides, who else is gonna look after those idiots we call friends?"
She nodded, "and your week at the hospital?"
"Probably the last time I can safely do something like this - besides, I need to know how to fix injuries, make myself useful"
Hermione just hummed, avoiding eye contact again, "And our parents?"
"What about them?"
"It's all in the papers, how close Ron and I are to Harry... what if they try -"
I cut her off, frowning, "They won't, so what ever you're thinking of doing? Dont"
Hermione just nodded, walking out of the room, "It's a good plan. Night"
"Night"

"Poppy recommended you, so I'm expecting that you're quick at learning on the job" the healer said, ushering me down the ward with a firm look on her face, "over this next week you will be shadowing one of our newer hires, Healer Fitz, so I'm expecting you to stay out from under his feet"
"Of course, I would just like to thank you for this opportunity. Really, it means a lot"
The healer looked me up and down, before handing me a pair of scrubs to change in to, "Don't thank me yet, kid. He's a right bastard"