Chapter Eighteen

"AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDGGGGGHHHH!"
I shot out of bed, heart pumping madly at the sudden noise. I threw on my dressing gown and rand madly down the stairs, joining the stampede returning to the common room.
"What's going on?"
"Who shouted?"
"What's all this noise?"
"Professor McGonagall told us to go to bed!"
"Excellent are we carrying on?" said Fred brightly, draping his arm over my shoulder.
"Everyone back upstairs!" Percy shouted, pinning his head boy badge to his pyjamas as he spoke.
"Perce - Sirius Black!" said Ron faintly "In our dormitory! With a knife! Woke me up!"
I felt a chill go through my body, clutching Fred's arm. Silence washed over the common room.
"Nonsense!" scoffed Percy, his eyes startled "You had too much to eat Ron - had a nightmare -"
"I'm telling you -"
"Now really that's enough!"
McGonagall was back, slamming the portrait behind her as she entered the common room and stared at the students furiously.
"I am delighted that Gryffindor won the match but this is getting ridiculous! Percy, I expected better of you!"
"I certainly didn't authorise this Professor! I was telling them all to go back to bed! My brother Ron here had a nightmare-"
"IT WASNT A NIGHTMARE!" Ron yelled "PROFESSOR I WOKE UP AND SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER ME, HOLDING A KNIFE!"
Professor McGonagall stared at him.
"Don't be ridiculous Weasley, how could he have possibly got through the portrait hole?"
"Ask him!" Ron said, pointing a shaking finger at the back of Sir Cadogan's picture "Ask him if he saw -"

Glaring suspiciously at Ron, McGonagall pushed the portrait open and went outside. The whole common room listened with baited breath.
"Sir Cadogan, did you just let a man into the Gryffindor Tower?"
"Certainly good lady!" Cried sir cadogan.
There was a stunned silence, both inside and outside the common room.
"You - you did?" McGonagall asked incredulously "but - but the password!"
"He had them all my fair lady! Read 'em off a piece of paper"
The professor pulled herself back through the portrait hole, white as chalk.
"Which person- which abysmally idiotic person - wrote down this week's passwords and left them lying around?"
I heard the slight shuffling of feet as Neville Longbottom raised a quivering hand.

McGonagall somehow miraculously managed to get everyone back into their beds at 3 am, whispers running rampant through the halls.
That morning the gossip had already spread across the whole school - I knew this because when I got to the great hall Bethany was frantically waving me over.
"Where's Conor and Ebony?"
"Not here - they're sitting at the Ravenclaw table"
I scoffed, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
"She's still salty about that then? She shouldn't be - bloody ridiculous"
"That's not what I brought you over here to talk about - Sirius Black? In your tower? Your friend almost died? SPILL"

I told her everything I remembered, from Ron's story to the expression of pure anger on McGonagall's face.
"Poor Neville" she gasped, covering her mouth "I can't even imagine how it felt to be on the end of that glare. I think I'd die - just have a heart failure on the spot"
I snorted a laugh, shaking my head "you're tougher than you give yourself credit for"
"Psh what" she laughed, sending me a funny look.