Chapter Eighty Two

The last month of term went by in a blur, an air of fear and confusion within the castle's walls.
"I just can't believe he's gone" Beth had sobbed, Ebony holding her up as her knees gave way, "He was supposed to come over to visit this summer"
Test results arrived, disapparating exams were passed, and even Rita Skeeter had been silent.

Bags packed, ready to go home for the summer holidays, the four of us were on our way to the Great Hall when Madam Pomfrey stopped us.
"Emily, have you considered that opportunity? The one at St Mungos?"
Fred's mouth fell open behind me, his hand falling on to my shoulder, "The what?"
"Has she not said? A contact of mine at St Mungos has agreed to take Ms Granger around the magical injuries ward for a week"
"That's amazing!" George exclaimed, "you have to go!"
"But-"
Lee cut me off, placing a hand over my mouth, "You have to do this - think of how much it'll help for next year"
I looked at the three of them thoughtfully, unbidden thoughts of Voldemort's return crossing my mind, "Okay. Yes. That would be great, thanks Madam Pomfrey"
She smiled, amused at our little display, "Theyre expecting you on Monday, eight am sharp. Don't be late"
I watched as she walked away, smiling as the three pulled me into a hug.
"I'm proud of you" Fred grinned, placing a kiss to my temple.
I rolled my eyes, shoving him slightly, "You're just going to have to tell Molly that I'm sorry to arrive a day late - if it's a week I'll just arrive at the burrow on the Tuesday"
"I'm sure mum won't mind" George scoffed, "She loves you - you're still gonna be there, right Lee?"
"Arriving on the Wednesday, as promised"
Linking my arms through the twins, I nudged George to do the same to Lee, the four of us walking into the hall as a united front.

The hall's usual end of year colours were replaced by black drapes, in honour of Cedric, and I squeezed closer to Fred, catching Beth's tearful eyes from across the room

As we sat down, I sent her a weak smile, attention being grabbed by Dumbledore as he stepped up to the platform.
"The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year."
He paused, his eyes falling upon the Hufflepuff table, all of its students looking pale and morose, a large difference to the usual bubbly enthusiasm they showed at the end of each year.
"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."
Tears built up in my eyes as I grabbed my goblet, the benches scraping as everyone in the Hall stood, raised their goblets, and echoed, in one loud, low, rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory."
"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."
I wiped a tear from the corner of my eye, leaning into Fred's body slightly as I looked up at Dumbledore.
"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."
A panicked whisper swept the Great Hall. People staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, exchanging panicked glances. Fred simply held my hand tighter, firmer.
"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continued, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."
Mutterings died down at this, everyone turning their full attention back to Dumbledore at once.
"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."
I watched as everyone seemed to turn to face Harry, conspiracies already breaking out among them, echoing whispers of the Daily Prophets' lies.
"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."
Dumbledore turned gravely to Harry and raised his goblet once more. I smiled slightly at this, raising my goblet once again to Harry, the rest of the hall doing the same.
When everyone had once again resumed their seats, Dumbledore continued, "The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened — of Lord Voldemort's return — such ties are more important than ever before."
Dumbledore looked from Madame Maxime and Hagrid, to Fleur Delacour and her fellow Beauxbatons students, to Viktor Krum and the Durmstrangs at the Slytherin table.
"Every guest in this Hall," said Dumbledore, and his eyes lingered upon the Durmstrang students, "will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again — in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open"
In the corner of my eye, I saw Hermione nudge Ron, the boy rolling his eyes half-heartedly.
"It is my belief — and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken — that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst"
I downed the rest of my pumpkin juice, wishing that it was fire whiskey as the tears threatened to spill once more.
"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."