Chapter Four

~ First day back ~

"Glad to be back" I sighed happily, looking around the great hall with a large smile on my face.
"I'm just glad to be away from those ruddy dementors. Horrible monsters they are" Alicia Spinnett added, before turning back to Angelina Johnson.
"Free food - I bloody love this place" Lee moaned, stuffing a chicken wing in his mouth ravenously. I rolled my eyes at his etiquette.
"Seriously Lee, how are you gonna get any girls attention if you eat like that?"
"You're starting to sound like our mother" the twins said in unison.
"Ew don't do that that's unnatural" Lee shivered, picking up another chicken wing.
"In a school that teaches magic, with resupplying food and moving staircases - us speaking at the same time - is unnatural for you?" George asked incredulously, making me snort with laughter.
"You're such a nob I swear to Merlin" Fred laughed, reaching for another piece of bread.
My eyes shifted over to the hufflepuff table where I made eye contact with Beth and Conor, sending them a quick wave.
"Meet tomorrow at breakfast?" I mouthed, over exaggerating my movements.
"Will do" Beth mouthed back, giggling at the expressions she was pulling. She then turned around to relay the message to our ravenclaw friends.

"Sooo. Fifth year. No exams for a while. Who have you got your eyes on" Beth grinned as I sat down at the table.
"Beth! No one" I replied shocked "why have you?"
Now it was Beth's turn to be embarrassed.
"No?"
"Are you asking me or telling me?"
"Answering"
"Okay well I don't believe you"
"Well I'm so sorry you don't believe me... what ever shall I do... my whole life I've waited for you acceptance... how will I live?" she gasped dramatically, feigning sadness. It was at that moment Ebony and Conor walked over to join us at the table.
"Where's Miles?" I asked Ebony, looking for our other friend to come and join us.
"We've been friends with him for 5 years and you still think he'll ever be on time for anything?" Ebony scoffed, sitting down on the bench opposite Conor. Beth has suddenly gone quite flushed, whether it was from Conor or Ebony sitting down I couldn't tell.  I quirked my eyebrow at her and she blushed even more, discreetly flashing me the middle finger.

"So how were all of your summers. You didn't write to me you bitch" I said, glaring at Ebony.
She put her hands up in surrender with a slight smile on her face.
"I'm sorry I was .. busy"
I narrowed my eyes, not buying her lie. Letting out a suspicious hum, I turned my attention to Beth.
"What did you get up to?"
"Well we went to a beach for a week and then I mostly stayed over my grandmas. Oh and I visited one of my old friends houses" she said vaguely.
"Okayyyyy. What about you conor?"
"Visited the ministry with my dad a couple of times, he wants me to get used to the outlay so when I'm working there it'll be easier for me to settle in. Apart from that I literally did nothing"
"Still on you about the ministry?"
"Yep. Old man won't let it go"
Ebony gave a pissed off huff. She hates Conor's dad. He wouldn't let him pick his own future career path and Ebony saw it as a complete injustice - I agreed.
"How about you ebony?"
"Visited a friends house, went to the Witches Gardens in London. Lot of random shit"
"Cool"
"How was yours Emily?"
"Mostly stayed at home listening to how much better Hermione is than me again. Nothing new"
"That sucks"

We heard footsteps behind us as Miles approached the Hufflepuff table, messing with his hair as he walked.
"Looking sexy as ever" Beth winked, teasing her best friend.

He let out a snort and aggressively sat down on the bench

"Those Weasley twins are a real piece of work. They tried to hex my hair!" He complained, still trying to untangle the bush that now resides on top of his head.
"I can punch them for you if you want?" I offered with a grin.
"Nah it's fine. I'll hurt them myself in the quidditch game in a few weeks. They may be good beaters. But I'm better" he quietly growled, narrowing his eyes at the two twins goofing off with Lee at the Gryffindor table.
"You gotta make me look good in the commentary" he said gravely, earning a chuckle from Conor.
"You act like you're gonna punch someone but we all know that you're too nice to do that" Conor said, smiling largely.
Miles looked at his fellow housemate for support, but Ebony just shrugged and carried on eating her breakfast.
"Screw you" Miles hissed, shoving a croissant in his mouth.