Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Six

"Johnson's been made captain" Fred said, grinning as I came down the girl's staircase.
The three of them were stood waiting for me at the bottom, George throwing little bits of parchment at Lee's head.
"What? You've got something on your head there Lee" I smiled, flicking George's nose as I went past, turning to shout over to Angelica, "Oi! Congrats on captain, Johnson!"
"Thanks Granger!"
Fred draped his arm over my shoulders as Lee shook his head violently, parchment raining off of his head.
"Last year of quidditch" he said, leading me out of the common room, "Will you still love me after this?"
"After what?"
He pouted, "When i'm not a school heart throb anymore"
I scoffed, shoving him lightly, "Heartthrob my ass. I'm sure you'll be doing just as fine out in the big wide world"
"Damn right" he smirked, rising to his full height, "We're going to be businessmen, isn't that right, Georgie"
"That's right!"

As soon as we entered the Great Hall, Conor started frantically waving me over from the Hufflepuff table.
"He looks like a hippogriff doing a mating dance" Lee snickered, "he's doing the neck bobbing and everything"
George levelled him with a concerned glance, "I don't want to know how you know what that looks like, so I'm going to ignore you ever said that"
As the two of them started bickering, I placed a kiss on Fred's cheek, "I'm going to go see what that's about"
"Yeah you do that"

"It feels wrong without him"
I sat opposite Beth, glancing worriedly at Connor.
He sighed, "She's been like this all morning. I've just been waiting for Ebony to get here"
"He would've sat right there" Beth added, voice hoarse as she pointed further down the hufflepuff table, "He would've-"
Her voice cut off as her face scrunched up, her eyes glued to the empty seat.

 I've just been waiting for Ebony to get here""He would've sat right there" Beth added, voice hoarse as she pointed further down the hufflepuff table, "He would've-"Her voice cut off as her face scrunched up, her eyes glued to the empty seat

"Beth-"
"I thought I was ready, you know? To come back without him but I wasn't. He was so kind. The train ride here was okay but when I got to the common room -"
I cleared my throat, willing my tears to stay down as I took her hand in mine, "It isn't fair. I know it isn't fair, but you know if he was here right now he'd tell you to stop crying and then start teasing you for that - no offence - god awful sweater you're wearing"
She breathed a laugh, Connor giving me a thankful look as she calmed down slightly.
"It's just not going to be the same"
"What's not?" Ebony asked, slipping into the seat next to her and placing a kiss on her temple, ignoring Connors desperate attempts at getting her to shush.
As Beth started to tear up again, Miles took his seat beside me, looking increasingly concerned. As he clocked on to the situation, his eyebrows drew together in a determined frown.
"Oi! No crying today! Do you want to look like a homesick first year?"
"No" Beth sobbed.
"Then snap out of it!" Miles shouted, "Woman up!"
The sobbing was broken up by laughter, Beth kicking Miles' leg under the table, "twat"
"Hey if it gets you laughing you can call me whatever you want"