Chapter One Hundred and Forty Two

Ron let in two more goals.
The Slytherins' singing was at an all new level of volume, and Lee and I had taken to fully shouting with the strongest sonorous charm i could handle, only just managing to be heard.
"— Pucey throws to Warrington, Warrington to Montague, Mon- tague back to Pucey — Johnson intervenes, Johnson takes the Quaf- fle, Johnson to Bell, this looks good — I mean bad — Bell's hit by a Bludger from Goyle of Slytherin and it's Pucey in possession again . . ."
I cut Lee off, jumping to my feet. "Potter has seen the snitch! He's diving - Malfoy close behind. It looks neck and neck -"
"I cant tell who's got it... HARRY POTTER CATCHES THE SNITCH," Lee bellowed, throwing his hands up in victory, "GRYFFINDOR WINS!"
The Gryffindors' cheers immediately drowned out the singing (which most Slytherins had abandoned in favour of hurling insults), as Harry got whacked in the back by a bludger.
I quickly removed the sonorous charm, grabbing Lee's arm and dragging him down to the pitch.

"Harry! HARRY! GEORGE! NO !"
We rounded the corner just as George swung at Crabbe, Harry brawling with Malfoy as Fred was physically held back by half the quidditch team.
"What the hell-"
I rushed forwards to help hold Fred back, watching helplessly as Lee shouted at George to stop.
"IMPEDIMENTA! What do you think you're doing?" screamed Madam Hooch. She was holding her whistle in one hand and a wand in the other, her broom lay abandoned several feet away.
Malfoy was curled up on the ground, whimpering and moaning, his nose bloody; George was sporting a swollen lip. "I've never seen behavior like it — back up to the castle, both of you, and straight to your Head of House's office! Go! Now!"
Lee reached out towards George, arm retreating back to his side as the boy stomped past him, blind rage controlling his actions.
"Fred, calm the fuck down," I said, grabbing his chin, "You do not want to do this here. That pink toad is looking for any excuse to screw us over - do you understand?"
"If you had heard the shit he said-" Fred snarled, eyes still fixed on Malfoy, the boy being pulled to his feet by Crabbe and Goyle, "I ought to-"
Angelina shook him, "Snap out of it, Weasley. Now is not the time or place."
He glared at her, but stopped actively trying to escape the chasers' holds.
"This has all gone to shit," Alicia whispered, shaking her head.

"Banned," said Angelina in a hollow voice, late that evening in the common room. "Banned. No Seeker and no Beaters . . . What on earth are we going to do?"
"It's just so unfair," said Alicia numbly. "I mean, what about Crabbe and that Bludger he hit after the whistle had been blown? Has she banned him?"
"No," said Ginny miserably, "He just got lines, I heard Montague laughing about it at dinner."

I frowned, "Of course she didn't - she treats those Slytherins like pets

I frowned, "Of course she didn't - she treats those Slytherins like pets."
"And banning Fred when he didn't even do anything!" said Alicia furiously, pummeling her knee with her fist.
"It's not my fault I didn't," said Fred, with a very ugly look on his face. "I would've pounded the little scumbag to a pulp if you all hadn't been holding me back."
I squeezed his hand, "No you wouldn't have."
He just frowned further.
"I'm going to bed," said Angelina, getting slowly to her feet. "Maybe this will all turn out to have been a bad dream. . . . Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find we haven't played yet. . . ."
"Fat chance," George glowered, voice slightly altered due to his swollen lip. Lee was sat by his side, body language unsure.
We sat there for a few moments, silence hanging heavily in the air.
"Come on," I said, tugging Fred up, "dorm room."
The boys followed me up silently.
As soon as the door shut behind us, Lee tugged George into a tight hug.
"You're a fucking idiot."
"I know." he melted into Lee's embrace, hiding his face in his shoulder and holding on to him as if his life depended on it. "I'm sorry."
"Shut up."
"Okay."

I moved aside to let them have their moment, pushing Fred to sit down on his bed, drawing the curtains around us.
"Are you ok?"
He stared stubbornly at his hands, clenching and unclenching them.
"Fred," I repeated, shuffling closer to him and putting my hand on his cheek, thumb gently rubbing over his cheekbone.
"I-" he cut himself off as soon as he started, eyebrows drawn together in pained anger, "The shit he was saying. About mum, our house - dad."
"He's a git, no one's debating on that."
Fred laughed bitterly, flopping on to his back and glaring at the canopy.
"My anger got the best of me. I know I - that's not my best feature. I know that." he turned to look at me, "I just... You know I would never act like that towards you, right?"
"Jesus, of course Fred. They had been goading you all game, insulted your house and your family -" I placed my hand over his, squeezing gently, "You're not a violent person."
He huffed, hunching in on himself so that his head rested on my thigh, "I hate that they got to me."
"I know," I said, stroking through his hair, "You're better than them, by miles. You've just got to rise above."
Fred scoffed, though I could feel his smile against my thigh. "You sound like Trelawney."
I switched to a weak, wobbly voice, "Weaselbee, you must seek out the truth... you're in great daaaaaaanger-"
He laughed, "Sod off"
I smiled at him sadly, "Those bastards take every opportunity they can get to make others lives hell. You go out of your way to support others, to provide for your family and your friends. That's what I love about you, Fred. That's who you are at your core."