Chapter Eighty One

As we left the tent, I caught sight of Cedric's body once more, a stifled sob wracking my body. Wrapping an arm around my shoulder, Fred blocked my view with his body, guiding me back towards the castle.

The halls were silent, a sort of thick shock settled over the entire school. Hermione and Ron's concerned whispers echoed behind us, George and Lee for once in their life walking quietly beside me.
Not wanting to cry in the common room, the boys guided me back to their dorm, Fred sitting on his bed and placing me in between his legs.
"If what Harry says is true - and I believe him - then we're well and truly fucked" I breathed, legs hugged to my chest.
"We can fight him. It's been done before" Fred reasoned, pulling me tighter to his body.
"He won't get away with this" Lee added, anger making his voice hoarse.
George placed a hand on his leg, squeezing it tightly, before looking back up at us, "We'll figure something out"
We sat in silence for a few moments, Cedric's blank face crossing my mind again, a fresh wave of sobs rolling over me.
"Emily-"
Fred frowned, holding me even tighter, rocking us slightly back and forth on the bed.
"He didn't deserve it - any of it-" I weeped, "He had so many dreams"
Not knowing what to say, Lee and George crawled closer, creating a circle around me.
"I think a group hug is needed" George suggested gently, "just for a while"
I nodded, sobbing harder as their arms enclosed around me, my family protecting me from the tragedy.

Later that evening, I woke up from the nap pile, mind racing.
Slipping carefully out from the tangle of limbs, i shrugged my robe back on and creeped down the stairs back into the common room, letting out a sigh of relief at the empty room.
Careful of my footsteps, I opened the portrait slowly, silently cheering when the Fat Lady remained asleep.

Under the cloak of darkness, I snuck into the library, eyes roaming the bookshelves for anything that could help us.

Eyes latching on to a thick-rimmed hard back, I picked it off the shelf, unravelling the piece of parchment I kept in my robe pocket and beginning to note down the most useful spells and processes within the book

A scuffle from the doorway had me whipping around, Mrs Norris sat staring at me with wide eyes.
Biting back a curse, I quickly stuffed my stuff back in my pockets, rushing out of the library, three quarters of the parchment filled.
"Ms Granger?"
I halted in my tracks, refusing to look behind me.
"No. Not Granger. Uhhh - Pansy Parkinson"
An amused bark came from behind me, Sirius' snout budging my leg a few moments later.
"Sirius? What are you doing -" I cut off as I came face to face with Harry and Dumbledore, trying to pull a weak smile, "Headmaster... I was just -"
"Something important I'm sure" he replied, eyes sparkling, "We're just on our way to take Harry to the Hospital Wing"
Noticing my glance between him and Sirius, he smiled, "I invited him"
"Oh okay. Of course... Are you okay Harry?"
The boy shook his head weakly, rubbing the back of his neck, "Moody wasnt Moody but was Barty Crouch Jr" he said, shrugging as if it made sense.
Nodding slowly, I shot a confused look at Sirius, "Okay?"
"So thanks for not letting him take me anywhere" Harry continued, rubbing his tired eyes.
"Oh - no problem HP. You should be off to the Hospital wing and I should... get back to the common room"
"Smart choice Ms Granger"
Scratching behind Padfoot's ear, I saluted Harry before rushing back down the corridor, cursing myself for getting caught.