Chapter 16

“Wait.” I twisted around to see Wyatt’s hand grasping onto mine. “Let’s just ignore him.”

        My mouth dropped open in shock. Ignore him? After being followed for that long? No way. “But he followed me!” I shouted, trying to keep my voice some-what quiet. I so didn’t need him hearing us. “I can’t just ignore him.”

        “Trust me.” Wyatt grinned. “You can and you will.” His tone was almost demanding but when I saw the small twinkle in his eyes, I knew he was joking. Well somewhat. I knew he still wanted me to ignore him. “If you confront him about it, an argument is just waiting to happen,” he said, trying to convince me. I sighed, running my fingers through my dark locks.

        “Fine . . .” I concluded after a moment of hesitant, “What about this?” I proposed, “I go over there and kindly ask him to leave. I’ll won’t yell.”

        He arched a brow at me, clearly not believing me. “You, kindly asking him to leave?” he asked, chuckling.  “I saw you two together before—” My cheeks flamed when I realized how embarrassing that must’ve looked,— “I don’t think you’ll kindly ask him to leave.”

        “Hey!” I slapped him on the shoulder. “I can be nice!”

        “Yeah, until someone irritates you.”

        I bit my lips, lost for words. No matter how much I didn’t want to admit it, he was right. It wasn’t my fault I get temperamental at times . . . okay so maybe it is, but could you blame me with that idiot around? I was perfectly fine when he didn’t show up in my life.

        “Alright,” I breathed out, glancing up at his clear grey eyes. “I’ll ignore him.” Even though I’d agreed, I was the opposite of happy. Tried bitter.

        He chuckled, ruffling my hair. I glared up at him, fixing my hair. “Come on, let’s head to the diner. I’ll buy you cake. My treat.”

        I smiled instantly when he said that. “And lunch?”

        He rolled his eyes, putting his arms around me. “Only if you promise we’ll hang out again.”

        “Deal!” I exclaimed. “And if I’m right about these so-called desserts, I’ll take you to a special place of mine,” I said thinking about my mom’s bakery. There’s no way this diner’s bake goods could even live up to my mom’s; it was awarded five stars. I wasn’t just being biased because I was her daughter, the citizens residing in New York City agreed. 

        “Oh?” He glanced down at me as we walked side by side to the diner. “Can’t I see that anyways?” His lips curved upwards into a pout, almost begging me with those eyes of his.

        I smirked. “We’ll see.”

***

When we got to the small diner, the place was booming with business. It was mostly filled with businessmen as they enjoyed their lunch break from their busy schedule—well most of them anyways. While some chatted amongst their colleagues, others were on their laptops, as they rambled on and on about something I could care less about. They practically shoved their food down their throat just so they could rush back to work.

        “Table for two?” the waitress guessed bringing my attention back to her. She was a young thing—probably fresh out of high school with long golden locks. 

        Wyatt nodded. “Please.”

        She smiled, motioning her hand to follow her. She brought us to the mid-back since most of the tables near the entrance were full. As she sat us down, she gave us our menus, before she pulled out a notepad.