| viii: the cold pickup |

Start from the beginning

"So, when were you going to tell me, and how long has it been?" I eyed him, trying to sound a bit stiff.

"We are in a relationship for a year and a half."

I audibly gasped.

"And I was about to tell you to meet her today as she works in the same hospital where you are going today for work," he immediately finished his sentence in a go, looking at my astounded expression.

"A year and a half? You are telling me this after a year and a half?" I feigned a hurt expression, keeping up with the act.

"It's not what you think, Akanksha. I wanted you to meet her in person. Since she is working in the same hospital as yours, it was the best time to introduce her to you. I had called you to Jaipur so many times last year, but you did not come. Plus, asking Vihaan to meet her was of no use. Even though he was happy for me, he rejected the idea of meeting her, saying that he already knew her. So, I was waiting for you," he sighed.

"Wait, Vihaan knew?" I looked at him pointedly.

"Did you decipher only that line from the whole sentence? Uhh, Akanksha, I am telling you that I was waiting for you, right? Aren't you going to the JD Hospital for some work? She works there. I will tell her to meet you at ten o'clock sharp. She works as a clinical psychologist." He did not let me speak further and ushered me to the dining hall for breakfast.

God, he was so whipped.

To my guess, Vihaan was already sitting at the table, having his bread and cornflakes. Whereas Mom, Dad, and Swati were having aloo parathas with white butter. I quickly sat down and started stuffing the paratha in my mouth. Oh my gosh, it was so tasty, and the white butter? Bravo!

During the entire meal, I couldn't help but eye him. It was so interesting to see that we shared the same room, but the only relationship we shared was that of being strangers. Well, I knew what I was getting into when I decided to shift back here. I guess, Vihaan was one of the repercussions of that decision.

Vihaan's eyes quickly caught me staring at him, making me avert my eyes and turn my entire attention to the last piece of paratha that was left on my plate.

"Mom, Dad, I am going to the bureau. It's my first day there. Wish me luck." He bent down to touch their feet to get their blessings. He hugged Viraaj Bhai and kissed Swati's forehead. "Dad, Bhai, I will directly meet you there. We have a case to discuss." As he was heading out of the hall, Mom stopped him.

"Vihaan!" she called out, "Akanksha is going to JD Hospital for some work. Can you please drop her?"

And there goes Mom's subtle attempt of bringing us closer. Before I could say anything, Vihaan's one look made her shut up.

"Okay, don't drop her. But, dear, it's your first day. At least pray to God before you leave," she requested.

"Mom, you very well know that I don't believe in that, so please don't force me into it." Saying this, he left the house.

A while later, a loud rumbling of his motorcycle was heard, the voice fading as he sped away.

Mom looked very dejected at his lack of response. I felt bad for her. Yeah, I agree that she was trying to bring us closer, but she also knew that I didn't know the roads of Jaipur city.

"Mom, don't worry. Viraaj Bhai will drop me. Right, Bhai?" I eyed him.

He immediately nodded.

Mom slightly smiled.

* * *

Viraaj Bhai stopped the car in front of the hospital. The hospital was massive. I could feel the positive vibes seeping through me. I had a few registration tasks to complete here so I could join the bureau.