| xiii: the burnt body |

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
― Arthur Conan Doyle

" ― Arthur Conan Doyle

Jaipur, India

"Do you suspect anyone who could have written this?" he asked, reading the contents of the letter and trying to decipher its meaning. He turned the letter upside down and then turned it over to find any other clue. He jotted down the riddle on a paper and started reading those lines over and over again.

I shook my head. I was completely clueless about it.

"Is someone pranking you? One of your best friends?" he queried.

"They would never play such pranks on me. Also, it is not possible. They all live in Mumbai. If this letter had come by post, the postman would have come to take signatures, and the address would have been mentioned on it," I stated.

"What do these even mean?" he wondered aloud.

"Even I don't understand. Although it feels oddly familiar, I can't remember where I have read this." I slumped back on my bed and closed my eyes with a sigh.

He looked at my tired face. "I think we are too tired to analyse this. We will check this tomorrow at the Bureau."

I nodded. I laid down on my couch and covered myself with the quilt. I curled my toes in fear. The letter and the fear that came along with it were terrifying. I could feel the tension rising above my head. Not every day you get a letter with a threat. Heck! I didn't even know if it was a threat.

Someone has rightly said, 'Fear is wisdom in the face of danger.' This letter did not give me good vibes. I did not get an ounce of sleep as my eyes were wide with fear. The eerily calm room creeped me out. I was still not able to register what had actually happened. For a moment, I thought that it was all a stupid prank. But the lines somehow made me feel that it was not just a threat. There was something more to it.

The following day, we reached the Bureau earlier than usual. I joined Amar in Vihaan's cabin after a while. Vihaan took out the original letter and kept it on the table, and placed the one written by him beside it. "Yesterday," he started, "someone sent this letter to Akanksha." He slid the one written by him to Amar.