| xxxii: the hope of love |

"Hope is the thing with feathers That perches in the soul And sings the tune without the words And never stops at all

That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all." — Emily Dickinson

" — Emily Dickinson

Jaipur, India

As I walked through the familiar corridors of our hotel, I was still panicking over the gala that was about to happen in the evening. The last few arrangements were happening and I had to head back home and get ready. Not only that, but I had to also look over the guests who were staying over in the hotel.

With the influx of weddings and then guests for the gala, the hotel was jam-packed. There was too much chaos and it felt like I was walking through a fish market.

I entered the big hall where the gala was supposed to take place in the evening. Almost everything was in place; from the decor to the lighting except for the—

"Yes, set the stage right there." Pranav barked another order as the workers pushed the stage right into the centre.

I walked up to him and gave him an impressed smile. "This looks good."

"Thank you!" He playfully bowed and I shook my head, chuckling at him.

"Where's Adi?" He asked, looking behind me to find him.

"He's in the kitchen area, helping out the chefs," I answered.

"Thank god he has a proper job now," Chirag said, as he came out of nowhere now standing beside me. We all shared a hearty laugh. It was true. If Aditya wasn't given a proper duty, he would bore everyone who's working. And on such a big day, I did not want that. So I gave him the duty in which he was the best; cooking.

"Akanksha Agarwal." A female voice behind me called out. With confusion etching upon my face, I turned around, looking at the woman in front of me. She was pretty fair with her dark hair and hazel eyes. She looked familiar.

"Yes?" I asked her. When I glanced at Chirag on my side, his eyes widened in recognition. "Meher Mathur, isn't it?" He confirmed.

"The very same," she gave a friendly smile. Now there it was. There was something that felt like she was familiar. Of course, she was Meher Mathur, the topper of our batch and then me, who came second. It never really bothered though as we always had a healthy competition and she was very sweet in person. Quite an introvert, but sweet. We were good friends who followed each other on Instagram. Still, it was difficult for me to recognise her in person.