| lii: the daughter |

"A daughter is a treasure and a cause of sleeplessness

"A daughter is a treasure and a cause of sleeplessness." — Ben Sirach

" — Ben Sirach

Mumbai, India

Akanksha wept while the others watched her, shedding her emotions. Her hand trembled and Vihaan immediately caught onto it to comfort her.

Her name over the adoption papers had thrown her off. She was a mere few days old when she had been adopted. Her hand went over to the pocket of the shirt as she felt the outline of the gift inside which made her tears stop.

Aditya, when noticed that her crying had stopped, decided to ask her the question that was on everyone else's mind at that moment.

"Do you," he paused, "do you think Uncle and Aunty behaved with you that way just because you were adopted?" Akanksha could sense the edge in his voice. That was the first thought that had come to her mind while she cried. But when she remembered all the eighteen years she had spent in their care, she begged to differ.

"You know Anika Di told me that if Papa wants to hide something from someone, he would go to all lengths to do it. In all these years they had never made me feel that I was adopted, not even in the past eight years. They told me the meanest of the mean things but never did they make me feel that I wasn't among them. And not just them, even Mukesh Chachu, Janhavi Chachi and my cousin brothers," When things got clear, she was picturing everything in a new light. She had a hunch of something but was waiting for the right time to prove it.

"But Shay—" Chirag tried to object but she held her palm up to stop him.

"Don't," She told him. "Before these eight years, I had spent eighteen long years under their care and love, like a truly loving family. I was accepted, I was loved and I was cherished. Maybe I don't have the Agarwal blood in me but I have the upbringing of those eighteen years which made me one of them. The social services must have visited for a few initial years after I had gotten adopted and they could have treated me badly after they had stopped visiting me. But they didn't and you all very well know that," and now when she recalled, even after Ruhi died, they did not exactly treat her badly. They drifted apart, yes, but there was something that had tied them together. It was just that one day when the hell had broken loose.