1000-Zenith Stratosphere

It was just another wintry day for me today. I got up and mom wasn't home, but she'd left a note for me to let me know her whereabouts.

Steven, I won't be back until late, probably 2 or 3 in the morning so long as the weather permits- the TB ward has been flooded with patients recently! There's chicken in the fridge for when you're hungry. Have a wonderful day, my sunshine boy. Love you! ~Mom

I smiled as I read it and placed it back down on the counter where I'd found it.

After eating some quick breakfast, I grabbed my sketchbook from under my bed and headed to the sofa, which was my go-to drawing place. I even turned the radio on so that I might listen to some music while I drew something laying around in this house, if there even was something new for me to draw at this point.

The air filled with beautiful melodies and trumpets and wonderfully classical music that I seemed to love so dearly and allowed me to really focus on drawing none other than the radio itself, you know, for the hundredth time.

My focus had been entirely zoned in on the intricacies of the radio dial on our 1935 model of the 1000-Zenith Stratosphere stand up radio... on all the wood and on the speaker fabric and on the reflection on the glass coming from the bright white light sparkling in through the window coming from the falling snow and-

The front doorknob twisted.

I halted and turned to see what the hell anyone thought they were doing trying to break into my house while I was in here.

The door flung open and my eye caught on bright, ginger hair.

Great.

I heard a slam as the door closed with Bucky pushing his damned girlfriend up against it. I tried to look away but, christ, get a room, I'm trying to draw here.

She held onto him like if she didn't, she'd die. I caught their tongues traveling back and forth between their mouths and, finally, looked back down at my sketch paper.

I heard them start to move and giggle amongst themselves, so I turned around to see them literally rushing towards my room. They locked the door behind them.

I could hear her annoying laugh through the thin walls shortly after they disappeared and decided to just continue on with my drawing.

I focused this time on perfectly portraying the shadows cast by the light coming in through the window on the other side of the radio. The tunes flowing from it distracted my momentarily- but, I don't think I recall this particular part in this particular song sounding particularly like this...

My god! I felt my face burn crimson as I heard something rather distinct coming from the other room. I covered my ears with my hands and wished it away, trying to focus on my drawing for as long as I could.

It just kept getting louder, though, and it felt like it didn't matter how hard I wished it away, either.

I know it's terrible to think such things, but I seriously wish we never met her. Or, dare I say, that she had ever even come into existence.

The story goes that we were bored out of our minds this past July and decided to take the train to Queens to spend the day at Rockaway Beach. We ended up meeting her at the beach; in fact, she approached us with one of her friends, though they both seemed to only have eyes for Bucky. Her friend was a brunette named Catherine and she, herself, had bright, ginger hair and was named Dolores; Bucky quickly came up with a nickname and called her Dot, though. That night, we headed to the boardwalk where we played all the little games they had set up along the sides, like darts and water guns and all that. Bucky blew three whole dollars trying to win Dolores a stuffed bear, which, of course, he did eventually do. By that point, though, the four of us were starting to get hungry, so we spent the last of our money buying four hot dogs... and then Bucky and I had to ride home in a freezer truck because we'd spent all of our train money on some dumb girls.

The rest, in terms of them calling each other and meeting up, is history.

My brain zoned back into the current reality and it was like I couldn't even hear the music anymore.

I heard her moaning through the damned walls so distinctly, I was worried the neighbors might hear.

Then, I heard him start moaning even louder... that just sent me soaring.

The combination of the two felt like torture. Like I'd never know what it would be like.

I felt my body go hot with some sort of strange tingly sensation I'd never really felt before, so I stood up and promptly turned the radio volume up as high as I could without distorting the sound. It mostly worked, but I could still hear her high pitched moaning every once in a while, and his, too, sometimes when the current song would lull swiftly out into the next one.

After they eventually left, I noticed I hadn't gotten any further along with my drawing than I had been when they'd arrived. That just kinda stinks, huh?

It didn't matter at this point, though, because I was not about to eat dinner and hop in bed all willy nilly.

The first thing on my mind was changing the sheets on my bed, then I could do whatever the hell else I wanted- I just couldn't stand the thought of them together in my bed, or the idea of their... juices sitting in there with me tonight.

Yuck.