Chapter Twenty One: The Next Body

I don't know what Ben was talking about, D.C was absolutely beautiful. Though, with the city being so old, the buildings were old and kinda run down. It looked really nice, but there were buildings hanging over the street, and some leaning forward. I know we learned about why they lean forward sometime during history class, but I never paid enough attention.

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared. I wish that I didn't leave everyone behind, I wish I got a chance to say goodbye. I wish I didn't have to leave, but what choice did I have? I couldn't sit there like a sitting goose. I know that cops won't be out because apparently they're in Delaware.

But, how much can I really trust the news?
I kept walking on the side of the road, and a few cars passed me while I walked. I was in a small condo area in the city. I'm surprised I wasn't stopped for looking too suspicious on the side of the road walking with an all black hoodie over my head.

Then again, this is D.C, they're probably a bunch of weirdos out on the street.

What if Ben was right? What if I get caught and end up in jail? What if I never see Ben or my family again? What if Ben never sees me again? What if the news was really lying about saying they were in Delaware to trick me into going out in public? What if I get caught as soon as I step foot in the city?
"Chantelle, control yourself, you'll be okay" I repeated to myself. Miss Dia always said to take deep breaths whenever I was in my thoughts. She told me, "Never let those intrusive thoughts get in your head".

I think I'll miss her the most. She has been my therapist for so long, and again, a better mom. She's been through it with me during my darkest times, and I feel terrible leaving without saying goodbye to her. I probably won't see her ever again, or anyone back home ever again.

At least until I'm innocent.

The lights from the city were absolutely beautiful. They illuminated the night sky into a light to dark blue. The stars were hard to see because of the city lights, but they were beautiful nonetheless.

I wonder if Julia is watching me from above.

I've never really believed in religion, nor will I anytime soon. But I do think there is someplace the dead go after they live. I have no idea what that might be, whether it's heaven or hell or something else.

But, it comforts me, thinking she might be watching over me.

I found a local 7/11 across the street. I was absolutely starving, I hadn't eaten since lunch at school today. So, I crossed the street and jogged inside the store.
The store reeked of fast food, spilled slushies on the floor, and hotdogs on the rollers that have probably been there since the civil war. The old man at the counter looked like he was about to pass out right then and there. He looked like he really didn't enjoy his job. Honestly, I wouldn't either if I had to work here too, It smells like piss.

I walked to the back of the store to get out of everyone's sight. I had about 20 dollars in cash on me, so I could get a couple snacks and eat them out back. I grabbed a pack of twinkies and some cheetos and went to the register.

"Hello, this all?" He said in a dead voice.

"Uh- yeah," I replied

He scanned the items and turned back to me, "Cash or card?"
"Cash,"

He took my 20 dollars and started giving me back the change, "You know, you kinda look like that girl on the news earlier,"
"Really? That's weird,"
"Yeah..." He said.

I immediately walked out, "Thank you!" I shouted behind me. I felt like he was on to me and I didn't need to know what happened next.

I went behind the 7/11 and started eating my twinkies. I used to love these when I was a kid and I still love them. The memories flooded back when I sunk my teeth into them.

Suddenly, I saw a man in all black turn the corner.

Shit, how did he find me? How did he follow me all the way out here? Am I going to get murdered next?
I know I couldn't let what happened to Julia happen to me, not because I didn't want to die, but because I refuse to let this dude win. I know for sure that Julia will rest peacefully if this dude is gone. I have had anger boil up in me for months now, and it was the perfect time to take him out. No one could see me or him.

It felt like yesterday when I was scared of my own life. And, how much I wanted to kill him right then and there for what he did to Julia. I remember having Julia's limp body in my arms while I was staring back into his eyes.
He started staring at me, and I stared right back into his dark blue eyes. A piercing navy blue, almost unnatural. Just like before.

I dropped my twinkie on the floor, and charged for this jackass. I grabbed him by the next and pulled into the alley.
He started fighting back, and trying to push me off, but my adrenaline was running thick through my veins and I was stronger than him. I grabbed his neck and twisted it as hard as I could.

He then fell on the floor, no breathing, no choking. Just dead. I needed to see this bastard's face for real now. I just took out the dude who just murdered my sister, and I had a bright grin on my face.

My smile quickly faded when I looked at this dude's eyes again.

They were brown. 

a/n: hey guys! sorry the chapter was a little late, just didn't have time to write. I also got a bit of "fan-mail" and I thought I would showcase it here! 

 I also got a bit of "fan-mail" and I thought I would showcase it here! 

thank you @TheBooKween for this cover!