Chapter Seventeen: The Runaway (Part Two)

I started bawling my eyes out, I was holding it in for so long and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I cannot believe I just ran from the police. I felt like I didn't breathe that entire time. I was dry heaving and hyperventilating while snot and tears ran from my face. I wiped it on my yellow dress, and sat back in the car. There was another car in the parking lot, but I thought nothing of it.

You know that feeling of guilt, when you wish you never did it, and you want to throw up because of it. That's what was going on in my body right now.

There were the police sirens going off in the streets behind me, Officer Kelly must be looking for me, and soon enough he's going to get his friends too. I need to get farther away, if I stay here, there is no doubt about it that I will be found.

I needed some fresh air, the car was starting to get hot. I didn't want to turn on the ignition because it would cause too much noise. You would be surprised how hot it still gets in Maryland, even though people still question if we are a southern or northern state.

I made sure to look both ways before slightly opening my door to crawl out on the ground. To spectators I probably looked like a complete idiot, but it's what you have to do, right?

As soon as I got out of the bushes, I stood up. It looked like there weren't any more cop cars, and the coast was clear. I didn't know what the hell I was going to do. I have nowhere to go, and nowhere to stay. I clearly can't stay here and I can't go anywhere else in town now because soon there will be a full blown investigation for me. Shit, I really should have thought this through better. I could have dealt with some jail time, but no. I just had to run away didn't I?

It may be a good idea to go to the park, my car was hidden enough and hopefully they won't look here.

The park was across a baseball field, so it was a little bit of a walk in order to get to the actual park itself. The night sky darkened slightly, and it looked like it was about nine o'clock. The night sky was a lot more visible than before, and it looked beautiful. My dad, Julia, and I would come to the park every night to look at the stars. I wish we could still do that. I didn't have to worry about John, or school, or homework. I could just be with my family, and be happy.

Across from the baseball diamond was the dreaded creek. The creek was lined with small trees, big trees and bushes. The creek was man made, and was used — and still is — as a drainage ditch. It's really shallow, but also about ten feet below the ground, and the hill surrounding it is full of sharp rocks and twigs. If you fell, you could easily really hurt yourself.

Or kill yourself.

I got to the park, when I realized someone else was there too. He or she was dressed in all black, and was sitting at the bench I wanted to sit at.

Shit, Chantelle you should have never gotten out of your car, you're probably going to die tonight. There is no way in hell they haven't already seen you yet. They looked just like Julia's murderer. I couldn't tell if it was or not because I couldn't see the striking blue eyes they had.

They stood up from the bench, and started walking to me. Either I get killed by my sister's murderer by staying silent, or scream at the top of my lungs for someone to help me, risking the cops seeing me.

I had to take my chances.

"Help! Help someone!" I started screaming.

The man in all black started running to me, I immediately started running as fast as I could to my car. The car was all the way in the bushes,and there was no way I was going to make it on time.