Chapter Eighteen: Ben

I ran back to my car to grab my duffle bag and anything else I might need. Ben ran back to his car and started it. I looked around my car for anything important that could possibly identify me, or anything of importance to bring along. I grabbed my car identification papers and bills from the passenger side compartment, I should probably take these in case cops try to identify the car. I jogged to Ben's car and put my duffle bag, cash, purse from earlier tonight, and the papers in the back, and hopped into the passenger side.

"Ready to go?" He said.

"Ready as I'll ever be I guess,"

"That's the spirit," He chuckled.

He backed out the car out of the parking lot, and got onto the road that led to the main road. The road was in the middle of the neighborhood next to mine, and it was mostly small, young families with young kids. So, most of them would be inside with their kids, or asleep.

We neared the start of the main road, and waited at the stoplight. The main road wasn't very crowded, even though it was one of the only roads that led to the stores, malls, and other civilian places. Then again, people were still spooked with the whole Julia situation, afraid that they might be next. And, I'm not going to lie, I have always worried I was going to be next too.

Maybe I am.

"Quick, get down," Ben interrupted the silence of my thoughts.

"What's going on?" I said, and sunk down into my seat.

"Cop's are coming down this way," He said, trying to look normal to other spectators who might be looking, "Get down farther!" He said, and nudged my shoulder down a bit farther.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and got down to the floor of the car. I could see the red and blue flashing lights from the reflections in the window as they passed by us without a question. My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I got that similar feeling of wanting to vomit again. My stomach was starting to grumble.

Chantelle, whatever you do, do not throw up in your crush's car, absolutely not! I repeated in my head. I know it wasn't something I ate earlier, I knew it was because of guilt. The only time I've ever felt this guilty before was because of Julia. And, I never want to deal with that ever again.

"Okay, the coast is clear. Stay low, but you can sit back up,"

I got up from the floor, and stayed pretty low on the chair, almost laying down on it. This was quite hard for being 5'9, taller than an average woman.

"So the plan is we are going to drive to D.C, stay there for the night, and catch our bearings." He said, as the light turned green and we turned right.

"Are you sure we should be going to the place home of the federal government?" I replied sarcastically.

"I'm sure it will be fine, it's not like we're nationwide fugitives,"

"You're not, but I might be,"

"Very true," He said, and kept his eyes on the road.

Annapolis, the town I live in, is only about eight square miles, meaning that this place is very, very small. We were almost on the highway, and from there it was about a 45 minute drive to DC. Which wasn't bad.

But it was still easy for cops to find us.

Our town was very close to a small marsh that led to the Atlantic Ocean, so you would see the classic surfer boys mostly on the eastern side of town, but we don't talk about them. It's not like they're bad or whatnot, but they are kind of annoying. Most go to Maryland Public Highschool, so I don't see many of them very often. And the "richer" side of town was the western side, also where I live. Which is where most of the private school kids live as well.