Chapter 55: She's Trouble

*31st December, 1988, 11:59pm*

"Just a minute til New Year's Day!" Michael squeals with excitement.

He places his arm around me, clutching his drink in the other hand.

"Yeah, then it's 1989!" I reply.

We're all standing outside, waiting for the New Year's Day fireworks to start.

"Oh, 10 seconds left!" Emma squeals.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6.." the guests of the party count down. Michael turns to me.

"Kiss me, baby," he demands.
"But, I--"

It's too late. He leans in and kisses my lips sweetly, without any warning.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!" the crowd screams.

The fireworks start, making Michael jump and cut our kiss short.

"We've just finished a kiss we started last year!" he giggles playfully, taking my hand in his.

We both look up to the sky. The colours are beautiful, blue, green, red, gold..

I turn my head away from the fireworks for a moment to look at who's here.

Emma and Mark are kissing. Ryan and Janet are kissing. The Jax boys are watching the fireworks, the rest of Michael's brothers and sisters are hovering round the drinks area.

There are a few random school students here, too.

Me and Michael, we're just being random.

I look back up at the sky, the fireworks are still going off.

"1989, huh? A whole new year," I say quietly.

Despite the low volume of my voice, Michael still manages to hear me.

"That is correct," he says in response.

I rest my head on his side. He's rather tall, I only just come to his chest.

"Hmm. It's January First, and I'm so tired it's not even funny," I say.

"Alright, c'mon guys, back inside now! Fireworks are over!" Michael calls, gesturing with his hand for us all to get inside.

We all enter the house again.

"Michael, I'm really tired," I say.

Michael places his hand over my stomach.

"I understand," he says. "You've had a long day."

He leads me upstairs to the bedroom. I drop onto the bed, fighting my eyes to stay awake.

"I'll be back in a minute. I'm just gonna tell everyone where we are. They might be wondering," Michael says, kissing my forehead and heading out the room.

I close my eyes for a moment. I'm so tired.

*Michael's POV*

I head down the stairs to explain where me and Becky will be.

The music in the house has become loud now, and everyone is dancing like we're in some sorta night club.

I take the remote that controls the speakers and turn the music off for a second.

"Hey, fellas, I just wanted to tell you that me and Becky are going to bed now, so, you can still party, but don't disturb us, ok?" I explain.

"Yeah!" the guests yell in response.