Chapter 7: University?

The following morning, I wake up, immediately feeling pain in my eye, from the fight yesterday. Rubbing my eye gently, I get myself up and start to get ready, as always.

Tuesday. Second day of the week. Only four gruelling days left of school.

Whilst brushing my teeth, doing my hair and getting dressed, I can't help but wonder what's gonna happen at school today. After what happened with French class, and with The Jax, I'm seriously wondering.

After getting ready, I grab a cookie as I do everyday, and my coat, then I head out. I'm just gonna walk again today.

As usual, my journey consists of heading down the street, waving to a few people as I go. Quite a few people look at my injured eye. Feeling conspicuous much?

As I get to the school gates, I finish my cookie; I instantly see Emma and Mark by the school doors, waiting on me.

"Hey!" I call as I reach them.

Emma grins upon seeing me. "Cozzy, how's the eye?"

I frown. "Still black; still hurting."

Emma smiles sympathetically. "I guess it will be! You got fist-beat by a member of The Jax yesterday!"

A subtle nod is made clear from me. "I know. I'm just gonna try avoid them today – especially Michael and Daniel. They really get me." The school bell goes. "Well, see you at break time," I say, fist bumping Mark and waving to Emma.

I walk to my first class – at least it's not French; it's English. Once I'm in the classroom, my already-bored self slumps down in my chair.

"Good morning class, today is going to be a little different – at least, for a couple of you," the teacher, Mrs Athens tells us.

At this notion, I sigh, slightly curious. Let's hope it isn't a bad different.

"Two of you have been selected to take English and Maths at a new place, y'know, Oxford University in California, from the students that applied for it," she continues.

Damn. Damn. Damn. Please don't let it be me, don't let it be me ...

"There will be a year scholarship there, and you will be working to get your degree," she says.

My fingers cross, despite me not being superstitious. Why did I apply for this?

"There will be one boy, and one girl. The girl is ... Becky Costello."

My heart rises into my mouth. Shoot. Why? Why did I even apply for it? Then again, it was obviously going to be me. It happens in all those typical stories you hear.

Not wanting to embarrass myself, I fake a smile in front of everyone and sit back in my chair.

"And the boy will be ... Michael Jackson.'"

What! What! No! No, no, no! Why Michael, of all people! I was trying to avoid him! Why would he even apply for University anyway?! He's a member of The Jax. He isn't a good kid; he isn't the kinda person that goes to University!

"Miss, you got that wrong, surely!" I protest.

Mrs Athens smiles. "No, Becky. You and Michael will be taking a year at Oxford University together. You applied, right?"

Angered, I nod uneasily. "Yeah, I applied ... "

She turns to Michael. "And you did, too, didn't you?"

Michael nods. He glances over at me. Ugh. Even when I'm not in the mood, those eyes never fail to get me going.

"Yes, Miss, I applied too," he replies, his voice calm – very unlike his normal character.

All I do is glare at him.

"Good. That's sorted then. Both of you are off to University," Mrs Athens says.

Wait a second ...

"When do we start?" I ask.

"You start University in a weeks' time," she replies.

A week? A week!

"Surely it's longer ... " I frown hopelessly.

Miss shakes her head. "No; you knew that the applicants would leave July 7. It's June 30, right now," she says.

Once more, I slump down in my chair. Great – I'm going to University early. And what's more – I'm going in a weeks' time, with Michael Jackson.

Michael freaking Jackson.

~~

-Edited June 4, 2016-