Everything is Grey

A day passed. Two. Three.

A week.

A month.

Nothing changed.

Every time he blinked he begged for whatever entity he thought would be listening to him that this time, this time he'd see something. Anything for that matter. Anything but a sea of suffocating darkness. Anything but an ocean of emptiness. He blinked and nothing changed. He could close his eyes and it was still the same. He could wake up from a nightmare, gasping for breath only to wonder if it really were the other way round, because again and again the universe refused to let this pass.

The first few days at the hospital were the hardest. Full of fear. Full of agony. It didn't hurt, physically at least. Emotionally was a whole new conversation entirely. He had so many questions but couldn't bring himself to ask such, knowing it would only make the situation worse.

It didn't take the doctors long to discover the full extent of Izuku's 'condition'. He was informed that he was completely blind after he had to partake in such tests. He also found that there was no way to cure it, no way to reverse time, no way for this to improve.

A month full of tests and trials. A month of learning to cope, having to. A month of torture.

His friends passed in and out of his ward when they could, stopping by to visit, see how he was doing. And although Izuku felt like everything was collapsing and crashing down on him, he'd always send a smile, always faked a laugh. Hoping that if he did it enough times it would eventually come naturally to him.

Katsuki on the other hand couldn't care less about the whole situation.

He continued to stay at his folk's place, having nowhere else to go but wishing he did because escaping there was no different to being at the hospital.

"Morning sleepy head, or should I say afternoon?" His father greeted him, patting his head as though he still were a kid – which in their eyes he was. Katsuki attempted to swerve out of reach, hoping to avoid the physical contact as he groggily tried to make a cup of coffee.

"What's going on, brat, this is becoming a habit of yours. Waking up at 3pm," Mitsuki sighed, not taking her eyes off the book she held in her hand as she addressed the sleep deprived boy.

"Piss off old hag," was all Katsuki could mumble as he brushed the bags under his eyes and headed back upstairs to spend another whole day up in his room.

"I'm trying to look out for you, kid, and this is the thanks I get?"

"Remind me why I came back here again."

Mitsuki slammed her book shut with an exasperated sigh. "Katsuki..."

A warning went off in the boy's head at the mention of his name. His mother's voice was soft and gentle, juxtaposing significantly to her normal demeanour. And when she spoke to him in that tone it usually resulted in having to have a serious conversation. Which to Katsuki was more than unbearable. He much preferred it when she was shouting and screaming at him irrationally.

"Are you okay?"

Well what the fuck is he supposed to say to that?

His mother's eyes scanned over his deteriorated state with a deepening frown. He flinched back as she reached for him.

It's not new knowledge to his parents that their son is broken. They were there with him when he first became a hero. There when things grew rough. When he realised there was so much more to this job than simply punching a villain in the face and everything is said and done. No. There are far more complications than that. There's pain, suffering, failure.