Rivals

"Oi, Deku, your phone is ringing!" Katsuki called, or yelled rather, to the other boy sat in the corner of the sofa. He jolted, startled, at the sudden exclamation before trying to detect his phone based only on sound. He was getting much better at navigating, even if this was his own home sometimes he did have slip ups; and it helped build not only his confidence back in himself but gave him a sense of happiness that he could function again as normally as possible.

"Gah, thanks," Izuku mouthed to the blonde as he pressed the phone to his ear. "Hello...?"

"Good Morning, Mr Deku, this is the hospital. We're calling to ask if you're still coming to your scheduled appointment for a check up on your recovery."

Izuku's eyes momentarily widened at the realisation that he had forgotten about that. "Oh yes, um, I'm very sorry about that..." Midoriya raked a hand through his hair, Katsuki's gaze directed toward him, watching as he paced the area of the kitchen whilst in conversation.

"Yes, okay, thank you very much. Goodbye."

A long sigh drew from his lips as he leant up against the counter.

"And?" Katsuki prompted when he grew impatient from the silence.

"Oh," Izuku titled his head upward. "The hospital called. I must have forgotten about it when they told me the first time: they wanted to make sure nothing got any worse. Though how it can be is beyond me."

Katsuki nodded, with a bored expression. "When?"

"Right now actually," Izuku responded, running his hands across the work surface to find his keys.

"Whoa where the hell are you going?" Katsuki called as Izuku turned toward the front door like he was about to leave.

"Um...to the hospital?" Izuku said, as though the answer was obvious.

Katsuki rolled his eyes, throwing on a jacket before plucking the jangling keys from the other's hands.

"And how did you plan on going there?"

"The car."

"You can't drive if you can't see, dumbass."

Izuku frowned. "...Right."

A long and heavy sigh drew from Katsuki's lips. "Alright, let's go."

Izuku's eyes became wide as he chased after the reverberating footsteps in a hurry. "Kacchan what are you doing?"

"Taking you to the hospital what the hell does it look like I'm doing?" Katsuki explained slowly as though he were addressing a child.

"But...you don't have to do that. you've already done enough for me, I don't...I don't want..." he exhaled heavily, "I don't want this to be where you do everything for me and you only help me and this is all about me. I don't want to be so helpless all the time..."

Katsuki looked up slowly to Izuku, his own gaze fixated on the ground. If only Izuku knew, if only he could understand on some level without Katsuki needing to admit to him the truth and feeling so stupid and embarrassed afterwards. He was here for multiple reasons, and although it had seemed this whole time that helping Izuku get back on his feet was something Katsuki didn't want anything to do with, well that'd be incorrect. He did want to help, that's the thing. But he didn't want Izuku knowing why.

Bakugo cleared his throat. "Look idiot, I already said it before alright. This is fine. You think I can't handle taking care of an idiot like you?...I can't have a rival who isn't equally matched, this is all this is about."

Izuku blinked, nodding slowly.

"Come on, let's go."

Izuku, without any other argument left against what Katsuki was doing for him, simply followed his footsteps, reaching out to grab the door and close it behind him before walking carefully down the stairs. He couldn't help but wonder while doing such a simple task otherwise, that even if something such as this made him slower, how could he possibly save helpless civilians?