The Bathroom

Little bird I invite you, build your nest

Little bird, I've got branches above my head

- "Antlers" by The Microphones

Hearing footsteps trailing behind her, Veronica's adrenaline and panic pushes her to run faster. Suddenly, someone grabs her and Veronica screams frantically trying to free herself from the person's grips.

"Let go! Stop!"

"Veronica, calm down! What the fuck is wrong with you?" The person shouts in response and Veronica stops her hysterics.

Opening her eyes, she's met with a troubled and annoyed Michael. She surveys his face and switches her attention to his green cast encompassing his injured arm.

"What the hell is wrong with you-"

"He's crazy, Michael," Veronica chokes out," There's something wrong with his fucking brain!"

She didn't care if she was admitting to seeing him again after promising not her. She couldn't help her mouth from spilling. Her hand tremble while her mind keeps flashing Jacob's eyes. There was so much blood, a lot of it on his hands. How could someone do something like that front of all those people? Was a possible for someone that destructive to exists? The idea that Jacob doesn't care about his actions scares her and leaves a bitter taste in her mouth.

Michael's brown eyes watch Veronica for a while. He's doesn't know what specifically happened but he had a good guess on what it was.

"I... I just went t-to talk to him-"

" What the fuck you do that for? Didn't Lizzy tell you not to go anywhere near that crazy White boy?"

Veronica hides the bracelet she's holding behind her back.

"I know I shouldn't have," She mutters and tries to save herself," b-but you deserved an apology and-"

"And what? What happens if he hurts you too?"

She pauses and examines Michael: his beautiful brown face a tired mess and eyes sunken with a broken arm. If Jacob felt free enough smash someone's head against a table and break another's one's arm in front of so many people, there was no telling what he would do to her tiny ass.

"I'm dumb..." Veronica admits

But she wasn't going to do it again.

Veronica doesn't see Jacob for the rest of the school year after the cafeteria incident. She avoids him as much as possible or his group. She hears that Anthony either moved schools or he died the day of the incident. Others say he was killed by Jacob's family. No one really knew, but everyone stayed away from Veronica.

For the rest of the school year, all her classmates avoided her and stopped talking to her. She was already shy and extremely unsocial but this made it worse. She liked being alone, but she didn't appreciate being completely shut out. Veronica wants to be rid of Jacob but he's still filling her head. Jacob's voice and bloodbath have dominion over her dreams. She struggles with her complex feelings about him as she deals with the whispers at school.