The Cafeteria

Roberto Ferri, Requiem, 2012

"You're cold on the inside

There's a dog in your heart

And it tells you to tear everything apart"

- Dog Teeth by Nicole Dollanganger.

---

Veronica stands outside the cafeteria doors trying to stop her hands from shaking. She stays outside the cafeteria for ten minutes trying to decide if she should go in and do the right thing- or what she thinks is. As she peers inside, she sees Jacob surrounded by his usual group. Every single one of them was caught up in conversation and laughing except Jacob. He just sits there, staring absentmindedly at his lunch like he wasn't there physically, just like at the dance.

She's been trying to stop thinking about him but she's afraid it's become an obsession. Ever since the night of the dance and the hospital incident, Veronica avoids him but her brain won't stop showing her his face. He runs wild in her head and shows in her dreams like a demon. Finally, though it wasn't much, Lizzy told Veronica a bit about him but only so she could be safe. She told her what specific routes and classes he takes so she wouldn't bump into him.

He's a senior and top of our school so he has AP Calculus, Honors English, and AP Chemistry in the morning by Mrs. Simmons classroom. I know because Alice has the same classes as him for some odd reason. Try to avoid those hallways. At lunch, he's always in the cafeteria.

Next, Lizzy told her Jacob was involved into some serious shit.

He wasn't in a gang but more like an... organization, in Lizzy's words. She claimed she knew nothing about the organization, but Veronica could tell she was lying. She didn't press her further about it and just assumed for herself that it was the European mafia of sorts. Maybe he sold drugs and guns or helps wipe out other gangs or organizations. She would never know but it didn't matter. Shockingly, she found out that they went to the same elementary school together until he up and left for some reason.

"Ever since he's come back...Veronica, you've seen him," Lizzy had expressed with a disgruntled face," He looks rabid or like a ghost."

"He's basically a hellhound."

Besides that, she didn't know anything but still expected her to know more for some reason. Lizzy assumed, based on what happened at the dance, that they had been talking without her knowing. She claimed Veronica remembered him from elementary school. In actuality, Veronica can barely remember what happened to her in kindergarten and tries to forget every day. Even if she ever did meet him at one point in her life, she would have switched schools by then.

With all the information Lizzy gave her, including some of the answers from the numerous seniors she's asked, Veronica conjured that Jacob was untouchable and reclusive. It was as if he made sure there was little evidence of his existence everywhere he went. No one knew where he disappeared to in elementary, who his parents were, where he lives, etc. It seemed like he wanted to make sure he was never born.